Say No Go
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|"Say No Go"|
|Single by De La Soul|
|from the album 3 Feet High and Rising|
|Genre||Alternative hip hop
Golden age hip hop
|Writer(s)||P. Huston, K. Mercer, D. Jolicoeur, V. Mason, P. Wynn and G. Clinton|
|Producer(s)||Prince Paul, De La Soul|
|De La Soul singles chronology|
"Say No Go" is a single by De La Soul from their influential 1989 album 3 Feet High and Rising. It reached number 18 in the UK charts. The tune is heavily based on sampling "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" by Hall & Oates.
The song is a cautionary tale about the use of drugs, in particular "base" (otherwise known as crack cocaine); a topic they would tackle on their follow up album, De La Soul Is Dead, albeit from a different perspective, on the song "My Brother's a Basehead".
In the opening line, Posdnuos raps: "Now let's get right on down to the skit / A baby is brought into a world of pits / And if it could've talked that soon / In the delivery room / It would've asked the nurse for a hit".
The song's relevance in 1989, and indeed at present time, was tremendous as it dealt with what had become a new phenomenon in largely urban neighborhoods. This phenomenon later came to be known as the Crack Epidemic.
"Say No Go" was also a popular dance song and the instrumental for the song has been used on TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- "Say No Go (Say No Dope Mix)" - 6:15
- "Say No Go (New Keys Vocal)" - 4:51
- "Say No Go (Radio Mix)" - 4:21
- "The Mack Daddy on the Left" - 2:33
- Guest Appearance: Chi Ali
- "Say No Go (New Keys Instrumental)" - 5:01
"Say No Go" includes samples from the following songs:
- Hall & Oates: "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)"
- Sly Stone: "Crossword Puzzle"
- Detroit Emeralds: "Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)"
- Emotions: "Best of My Love"
- The Funky Four Plus One More: "That's The Joint"
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||35|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||32|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Rap Singles||11|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales||13|
|UK Singles Chart||18|