|Song by the Grateful Dead from the album Grateful Dead from the Mars Hotel|
|Released||June 27, 1974|
|Genre||Rock, funk rock, psychedelic rock, reggae fusion|
|Label||Grateful Dead Records|
|Grateful Dead from the Mars Hotel track listing|
"Scarlet Begonias" is a song by the Grateful Dead. The lyrics were written by Robert Hunter and the music by Jerry Garcia. The song first appears on the 1974 release Grateful Dead from the Mars Hotel.
The live debut of "Scarlet Begonias" came on March 23, 1974 at the Cow Palace in Daly City, California. When "Fire on the Mountain" was written in 1977, "Scarlet Begonias" would often be paired with "Fire on the Mountain" when played live. This resulted in what would be nicknamed "Scarlet>Fire".
- A version of the song appears on the Sublime album 40oz. to Freedom (1992), which samples James Brown's "Funky Drummer" prominently.
- Jimmy Buffett released a version of the song on his album License to Chill in 2004.
- A bluegrass version of the song appeared on the 2008 album Rex (Live at the Fillmore) by Keller Williams with Keith Moseley and Jeff Austin.
- After the Grateful Dead disbanded in 1995, it was (and still is) performed in concert by Dead spin-off bands Phil Lesh & Friends, Bob Weir & RatDog, Rhythm Devils, BK3, Mickey Hart Band and Donna Jean Godchaux Band, as well as The Dead, and Furthur.
- Dodd, David. "The Annotated "Scarlet Begonias"". The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics. Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- Dodd, David. "The Annotated "Fire on the Mountain"". The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics. Retrieved 2007-01-31.
- "Sublime – 40oz. to Freedom". Music reviews. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- Puterbaugh, Parke (2004). "Jimmy Buffett – License to Chill". Music reviews. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- Keller Williams album for REX charity, news.jamradio.org, May 7, 2008, Retrieved May 15, 2008.
- Dead.net, the official homepage of the Grateful Dead.