Scenes from the Second Storey
|scenes from the second storey|
|Studio album by The God Machine|
|Genre||Alternative rock, progressive rock|
|Label||Fiction / Polydor|
|Producer||The God Machine|
|The God Machine chronology|
The album opens with a sample from the movie adaptation of The Sheltering Sky (the same sample also opens Neurosis' Enemy Of The Sun, an album released in the same year as scenes from the second storey), while the single Home contains an intro consisting of the beginning of the track Pilentze Pee by the Bulgarian State Television Female Vocal Choir from the album Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares. The single peaked at #65 in the UK Singles Chart in January 1993.
|Rock Hard (de)||8/10|
In 2005, scenes from the second storey was ranked number 312 in Rock Hard magazine's book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time.
|3.||"The Blind Man"||5:58|
|4.||"I've Seen the Man"||2:39|
|5.||"The Desert Song"||5:13|
|7.||"It's All Over"||5:55|
|13.||"The Piano Song"||3:07|
Released as CD and double LP. A double CD version including the Home EP was released in the US.
- Produced by The God Machine
- Engineered by Kenny Jones
- Recorded at Blackwing, Maison Rouge and Matrix Studios, London except "The Piano Song" and "It's All Over" recorded at Joe's Garage with Roger Askew, and "Temptation" as a live improvisation recorded in Room 3
- All songs mixed by Kenny Jones at Matrix Studios
- Mastered by Kevin Metcalfe at The Townhouse
- Chant on "The Desert Song" by Katharine Gifford
- Programming by Andy Montgomery
- Preacher provided by The Hurting Choice
- Vocal on "Home" by the Voix de Bulgares
- Clarinet on "Seven" by Ian Bishop
- "Purity" recorded acoustically with Christiane Van Der Lee on cello, Anthony Pleeth on cello, Gavyn Wright on viola and Neil Filby on violin
- String arrangements by Robin Proper-Sheppard; conducted by Nick Ingman
- All other atmospheric nuances and nuisances created by The God Machine and Kenny Jones
- The God Machine is Robin Proper-Sheppard (vocals/guitar), Ron Austin (drums/piano) and Jimmy Fernandez (bass)
- All words by Proper-Sheppard, all music by Austin/Fernandez/Proper-Sheppard
- Published by Fiction Songs Ltd.
In 2010 Morrigan Books will publish an anthology of horror short stories written and titled in the same order as the album track listing, as a homeage to Scenes from the Second Storey. All authors are from Australia and include David Conyers, Stephen Dedman, Paul Haines, Robert Hood, Cat Sparks, Andrew J McKiernan and Kaaron Warren.
- "Charts UK: Scenes from the Second Storey". Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- "Charts UK: Home (Single)". Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Allmusic review". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- Spencer, Trey (May 6, 2013). "Album Review - The God Machine: Scenes from the Second Storey". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Stratmann, Holger. "Rock Hard review". issue 69. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- [...], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red.: Michael Rensen. Mitarb.: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten. Königswinter: Heel. p. 85. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.