Scent of a Woman (TV series)
|Scent of a Woman|
Promotional poster for Scent of a Woman
|Written by||Noh Ji-seol|
|Directed by||Park Hyung-ki|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||Saturdays and Sundays at 21:50 (KST)|
|Original channel||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original run||23 July 2011– 11 September 2011|
|Preceded by||New Tales of Gisaeng|
|Followed by||Living in Style|
|Revised Romanization||Yeo-in-ui Hyang-gi|
Scent of a Woman (Hangul: 여인의 향기; hanja: 女人의 香氣; MR: Yeoin-eui Hyanggi) is a 2011 South Korean television drama series starring Kim Sun-ah, Lee Dong-wook, Uhm Ki-joon and Seo Hyo-rim. It aired on SBS from July 23 to September 11, 2011 on Saturdays and Sundays at 21:55 for 16 episodes.
As a single, unmarried woman in her mid-thirties, Lee Yeon-jae (Kim Sun-ah) is meek and timid, considered a spinster by society. After spending ten years working for the same travel company owned by Kang Chul-man, she is falsely accused of stealing from a client. In addition to enduring the accusations of her superiors, she is diagnosed with gallbladder cancer with approximately six months left to live. Mustering up her courage, Yeon-jae resigns and embraces her remaining six months of life.
Embarking on her first vacation alone, she splurges on clothes and flies first-class to Okinawa Island, Japan, where she runs into the man of her dreams, Kang Ji-wook (Lee Dong-wook), who happens to be the son of her former boss. Ji-wook is a rich young man, cynical and lifeless, until he falls in love with Yeon-jae. Together they live out a series of misadventures, both comical and bittersweet, as Yeon-jae completes each dream in her Bucket List.
- Uhm Ki-joon as Chae Eun-suk
- Kim Hye-ok as Kim Soon-jung, Yeon-jae's mother
- Sa Hyun-jin as Yoo Hye-won, Yeon-jae's best friend
- Choi Jung-hoon as Oh Sang-mok, Yeon-jae's and Soon-jung's hot-tempered landlord
- Lee Jung-gil as Kang Chul-man, Ji-wook's father
- Park Jung-sun as Park Sang-woo
- Kim Kwang-gyu as Yoon Bong-kil, Yeon-jae's office mate/tango instructor
- Shin Jung-geun as Noh Sang-shik, Yeon-jae's office manager
- Son Sung-yoon as Nam Na-ri
- Nam Gung-won as Im Joong-hee, Se-kyung's father
- Shin Ji-soo as Yang Hee-joo, cancer patient who treats Yeon-jae as her elder sister
- Cha Ji-yeon as Cha Ji-yeon, tango instructor
- Xiah Junsu as Kim Junsu (cameo, episode 5)
- Kwon Oh-joong as Kwon Yool, Yeon-jae's first love (cameo, episode 8)
- Lee Won-jong as Andy Wilson, pianist
- Jeong Dong-hwan as Kim Dong-myung, Yeon-jae's high school teacher
- Blue bird – Rottyful Sky
- You are so beautiful – Junsu
- 유앤아이 (You and I) – MBLAQ
- 버킷리스트 (Bucket list) – JK Kim Dong-uk
- Better Tomorrow – She'z
- 화답 (Response) – Lee Young-hyun
- 유앤아이 (You and I) – Fly High
- Una Notte Perfetta – Edan
- Promise U
- Blue Tango
- The Dancer
- Jalousie – La Ventana
- 키다리 아저씨 (Daddy-Long-Legs)
- Por una cabeza
- Yeon-jae's Theme
- Babu Babu
- 여인의 향기 (Scent of a woman)
- You are so beautiful (Edit ver.) – Junsu
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||23 July 2011||13.9%||15.8%||15.8%||15.6%|
|2||24 July 2011||13.9%||15.1%||15.6%||19.0%|
|3||30 July 2011||13.1%||15.4%||15.1%||16.8%|
|4||31 July 2011||12.5%||13.4%||15.7%||17.8%|
|5||6 August 2011||16.2%||18.5%||18.6%||20.6%|
|6||7 August 2011||17.0%||18.6%||18.3%||20.6%|
|7||13 August 2011||16.8%||19.6%||18.0%||20.4%|
|8||14 August 2011||16.7%||19.7%||17.1%||19.1%|
|9||20 August 2011||17.8%||21.5%||18.2%||20.3%|
|10||21 August 2011||18.6%||21.9%||18.3%||20.2%|
|11||27 August 2011||16.7%||18.8%||18.8%||21.0%|
|12||28 August 2011||16.4%||18.7%||18.8%||21.3%|
|13||3 September 2011||16.4%||19.6%||17.7%||19.8%|
|14||4 September 2011||16.4%||18.1%||18.2%||20.4%|
|15||10 September 2011||15.7%||17.1%||16.7%||17.9%|
|16||11 September 2011||14.1%||14.9%||14.1%||15.4%|
Awards and nominations
||Top Ten Hottest Asia Award||Kim Sun-ah||Won||
||Best Supporting Actor||Uhm Ki-joon||Nominated|
||New Star Award||Seo Hyo-rim||Won||
|Top 10 Stars||Lee Dong-wook||Won|
|Special Acting Award, Actress in a Weekend Drama||Kim Hye-ok||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Weekend Drama||Uhm Ki-joon||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Weekend Drama||Lee Dong-wook||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Weekend Drama||Kim Sun-ah||Won|
|Best Drama||Scent of a Woman||Nominated|
|2012||Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Kim Sun-ah||Nominated|
In September 2011, it was announced that the drama's rights were sold eight Asian countries, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam. This was followed by promotional events attended by the two lead actors, Kim Sun-ah and Lee Dong-wook on December 5–6 in Singapore and Malaysia, respectively, for ONE TV ASIA.
It first aired in Japan on cable channel KNTV from July 23 to September 11, 2011. It was re-aired on TBS as part of the network's "Hallyu Select Frame" beginning June 7, 2012, and on cable channel BS-Japan.
- Park, So-jung (1 June 2011). "Kim Suna, Lee Dong-wook and Um Ki-joon cast in new drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Wee, Geun-woo (20 July 2011). "REVIEW: SBS TV series Scent of a Woman - 1st Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Lim, Ju-ri (10 August 2011). "Dramas broaden their portrayals of women". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "ONE Exclusive Interview - Lee Dong Wook". ONE TV ASIA. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- Hong, Lucia (10 June 2011). "Seo Hyo-rim to star in Kim Suna drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- Choe, Min-ji (21 October 2011). "Kim Sun Ah Honored with the 2011 Top 10 Hottest Asia Award". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Kim, Jessica (2 January 2012). "Han Suk-kyu reclaims glory at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Hong, Lucia (5 September 2011). "SBS series Scent of a Woman sold to 8 countries". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Hong, Lucia (22 November 2011). "Kim Suna, Lee Dong-wook to promote SBS series in Singapore and Malaysia". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "Scent of a Woman Press Conference in Singapore". Soompi. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-21.