Schalker Eisenhütte Maschinenfabrik
|Products||Coking oven equipment
Schalker Eisenhütte Maschinenfabrik GmbH, also known as Schalker, is a German engineering company, a manufacturer of industrial locomotives and coking ovens.
The company was founded in Schalke, Gelsenkirchen, Germany in 1872 by Friedrich Grillo with backing from the Grevel family, as Vogelsang & Co. In 1886 the company became Gewerkschaft Schalker Eisenhütte.
In 1882 the company produced its first machine for pushing coke out of a coke oven, and by 1900 was manufacturing a range of equipment for mechanisation of coke production, including coke wagons and locomotives.
During the Second World War the factory was heavily damaged in two bombing raids. Post war the company continued in its main business areas of coke oven equipment and industrial locomotives. The company was acquired by Eickhoff of Bochum in 1968.
Towards the end of the first decade of the 21st century the company developed its first main line locomotive, the SDE 1800, a 4 axle Bo'Bo' diesel electric, off-centre cab design with an installed power of up to 1.8MW, designed for freight and shunting. The prototype was completed in 2011.
According to the company's works council and union IG Metall the SDE 1800 project was too large for the company, with development costs for the locomotive contributing to the company accumulating losses since 2010. In August 2012, with cumulative losses reported of €20m, the company was restructured, with a reduction in workforce; approximately 155 of the workforce of 210 workers were to be transferred to other Eickoff group companies, with approximately 25 jobs losses overall.
- CarGoTram, freight tram vehicle manufactured by Schalker for Volkswagen
- "Gewerkschaft Schalker Eisenhütte GmbH, Gelsenkirchen", www.werkbahn.de (in German)
- Privatbahn Im Fokus (May/June 2009), Geschichte - Sich von der Masse abheben „Specialitäten“ schon zur Jahrhundertwende, pp.16-19
- Feldman, Manfred (2003), August Thyssen und Hugo Stinnes - Ein Briefwechsel 1898-1922, C.H.Beck, footnote 90, p.37
- Baumann, Hans (1973), Männer und Mächte an Rhein und Ruhr: von Banken, Bossen und Genossen (in German), K. Desch, p. 253
- "Company - History", www.schalker-eisenhutte.de, retrieved September 2012
- Privatbahn Im Fokus (May/June 2009), SDE 1800 "Der Weg in eine neue Ära", pp.8-11
- "The Beginning of a new era - SDE 1800", www.schalker-eisenhuette.de
- Fischer, Josef W., "Innovative Diesellokomotive mit Mittelführerhaus für den schweren Rangier- und Streckendienst", www.schienenfahrzeugtagung.at (in German) (Schalker)
- Stender, Jörn (11 July 2012), "Schalker Eisenhütte steckt tief in roten Zahlen", www.derwesten.de (in German)
- Pothoff, Friedhelm (21 August 2012), Lange Gesichter statt Geburtstagstorte (in German)
- "Privatbahn Im Fokus", www.privatbahn-magazin.de (in German), May–June 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Schalker Eisenhütte.|
- ""Schalker Eisenhütte"-Lokomotiven in und um Luxemburg", www.rail.lu (in German/French)Template:German-company-stub