Scharnebeck twin ship lift
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is a museum at the site which can be visited by walkers.
- Design: double counterweight lift
- Construction cost: 152 million Deutsche Mark
- Vertical lift: max. 38 m (depending on the water level of the Elbe)
- Trough size: usable length / usable width / water depth 105 m / 12 m / 3.38 m
- Gate safety: The catch ropes at the trough gates reduce the usable length of the trough by 5m.
- Total weight of the trough filled with water: 5,800 t
- Total moving weight of a trough, the water contained, and associated parts: approx. 11,800 t
- Weight of one counterweight of which there are 224 per trough: approx. 26.5 t (giving a total of 5,936 t per trough)
- Dimensions of one counterweight: 6.8 m x 3.4 m x 0.32 m
- Thickness of the steel cables: 54 mm
- Source of power: 4 electric motors of 160 kW each (together about 870 horsepower)
- Time taken to lift or lower a trough: 3 minutes
- Time taken to pass through the lift: 15–20 minutes
- Visitors per year: approx. 500,000
- Uhlemann, Hans-Joachim (2002). Canal lifts and inclines of the world (English Translation ed.). Internat. ISBN 0-9543181-1-0.