|Also called||Ribolla Nera (more)|
|Origin||Slovenia/Italian border region|
|Notable regions||Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Prepotto, Slovenia|
|Notable wines||Colli Orientali del Friuli Rosso, Cialla Schioppettino, Isonzo Rosso|
Schioppettino (meaning "gunshot" or "little crack" also known as "Ribolla Nera") is a red Italian wine grape grown predominately in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of northeast Italy. The grape is believed to have originated between the comune of Prepotto and the Slovenian border where records of the Schiopettino wine being used in marriage ceremonies date to 1282. The grape was nearly lost to extinction following the phylloxera epidemic of the late 19th century when vineyard owners decided against replanting the variety in favor of French wine grapes like Cabernet franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot gris, Sauvignon blanc and Merlot. Some isolated plantings continued to exist till a 1978 European Union decree encouraged its planting in the province of Udine.
Viticulture and wine
Today the Vitis vinifera grape is a prominent planting in the Colli Orientali del Friuli Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) where it produces very aromatic, medium bodied wines with Rhône-like qualities of deep dark coloring with violet, raspberry and pepper notes. In addition to thriving in the Prepotto area, the grape also seems to do well in the Buttrio-Manzano area. The grape's high acidity and low alcohol levels bodes well for a semi-sparkling style that is mostly consumed domestically and rarely exported.
Today the grape is found mostly in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region and Slovenia. It is used most notably in the wines from Prepotto, Colli Orientali del Friuli Rosso, Cialla Schioppettino and Isonzo Rosso. The grape has recently gone to the United States, being planted in the California wine region of Sonoma County.
Pocalza, Ribolla Nera, Schioccoletto, Schiopetino, Schioppettino, Scoppiettino 
- J. Robinson (ed) "The Oxford Companion to Wine" Third Edition pg 615-616 Oxford University Press 2006 ISBN 0-19-860990-6
- Oz Clarke Encyclopedia of Grapes pg 229 Harcourt Books 2001 ISBN 0-15-100714-4
- M. Ewing-Mulligan & E. McCarthy Italian Wines for Dummies pg 132-140 Hungry Minds 2001 ISBN 0-7645-5355-0
- Appellation America, Schioppettino, varietal description
- Maul, Erika; Töpfer, Reinhard; Eibach, Rudolf (2007). "Vitis International Variety Catalogue". Institute for Grapevine Breeding Geilweilerhof (IRZ), Siebeldingen, Germany. Retrieved 2007-12-22.