School is Cool
|School is Cool|
|Genres||Indie pop, baroque pop|
|Labels||B Bang, Keremos|
Andrew Van Ostade
Toon Van Baelen
|Past members||Nele Paelinck
Michael Van Ostade
On 28 November 2009 School is Cool won the audience award and the third prize awarded by the jury on 'FrappantPOP', an Antwerp initiative searching for promising new musicians. This was their third performance with five members in the band.
Only four months later, 28 March 2010, the band was declared winner of Humo's Rock Rally, an important Belgian Rock contest that previously introduced dEUS, Das Pop and The Black Box Revelation, among others.
School is Cool introduced their debut single "New Kids in Town" on Belgian national radio, Studio Brussel, on 22 April 2010, and they produced their own video clip on a limited budget. The single was number one for six weeks in the radio chart, De Afrekening.
In the summer of 2010 School is Cool started performing on countless festivals all over Belgium, these included Genk On Stage, Cirque@taque, Boomtown, Dranouter, Marktrock, Maanrock and Pukkelpop, all with hugely positive reviews.
On 18 October 2011 School is Cool launched their debut album Entropology. They kicked off their Belgian tour in their home-town Antwerp and played in major concert halls, including Ancienne Belgique in Brussels and Vooruit in Ghent. They also performed in The Dublin Castle (16 May 2011) and The Bowery (24 November 2011) in London, in l'International (24 May 2011) in Paris and The Netherlands. Other singles released from the album are "In Want of Something" and "The World Is Gonna End Tonight". "The World Is Gonna End Tonight" topped the Belgian chart, De Afrekening, for three weeks. This single and the song "The Underside" also made it to the UK national radio on Radio 1 and Radio 6.
- Entropology (released 18 October 2011)
- New Kids In Town (released 17 May 2010)
- In Want of Something (released 23 May 2011)
- The World Is Gonna End Tonight (released 29 August 2011)
- Warpaint (released 6 February 2012)
- The Underside (released 14 May 2012)
- Dandyliar wint finale FrappantPop, Het Nieuwsblad, 30 november 2009.
- School is Cool wint Humo's Rock Rally 2010, De Standaard, 28 maart 2010.
- School is Cool: Gebeten door de underdog, De Morgen, 9 augustus 2010.
- School Is Cool op Pukkelpop 2010 (Wablief?!), Humo, 19 augustus 2010.
- BBC Music - School is Cool