School of Advanced Study
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2010)|
|School of Advanced Study|
|Parent institution||University of London|
|Location||London, England, United Kingdom|
The School of Advanced Study, a postgraduate institution of the University of London, is the UK's national centre for the promotion and facilitation of research in the humanities and social sciences. It was established in 1994 and is located in Senate House, in Bloomsbury, central London, close to the British Museum, British Library and several of the colleges of the University of London. The School brings together ten prestigious research institutes, many of which have long and distinguished histories, to provide a large range of specialist research services, facilities and resources. Through its many activities the School's core aim is to provide an environment for the support, evaluation and pursuit of research which is accessible to postgraduate, postdoctoral and senior members of all Higher Education institutions in the United Kingdom and beyond.
The School was established on 1 August 1994.
The School is located in Senate House, the administrative centre of the University of London, in Bloomsbury, central London. It is close to the British Museum, the British Library and several of the colleges and institutions of the University of London, including University College London, Birkbeck, the School of Oriental and African Studies, and the Institute of Education.
Organisation and structure
The Member Institutes of the School are:
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies≈
- Institute of Classical Studies≈
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies≈
- Institute of English Studies
- Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies≈
- Institute of Historical Research≈
- Institute of Musical Research
- Institute of Philosophy
- Institute for the Study of the Americas≈
- Warburg Institute≈
Those institutes marked with ≈ in the above list incorporate libraries that are part of the Senate House Libraries.
Together, the Institutes of the School provide a range of specialist research services in their subject areas of expertise. In furtherance of their national and international role the Institutes of the School undertake high quality research; maintain and develop library collections and services; develop digital resources; publish journals and book series; host visiting scholars and postdoctoral fellows; organise a range of academic events including workshops, conferences, seminars and lectures; provide specialist research training and postgraduate taught, research and doctoral programmes.
- School of Advanced Study website
- University of London website
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies website
- Institute of Classical Studies website
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies website
- Institute of English Studies website
- Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies website
- Institute of Historical Research website
- Institute of Musical Research website
- Institute of Philosophy website
- Institute for the Study of the Americas website
- Warburg Institute website