School of Education (UWE)
|School of Education (UWE)|
|Dean||Professor Ron Ritchie|
|Website||School of Education|
The School of Education at the University of the West of England is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities. Its origins lie in teacher training colleges at Redland and St Matthias which became part of the former Bristol Polytechnic in 1969. The dean of the school is Professor Ron Ritchie who is also an Assistant Vice-Chancellor of the University. A new purpose built home for the school, with state-of-the-art technology, was completed in 2000 - S block - also known as New Redland, for the school at the University's Frenchay campus.
The school offers undergraduate degrees in Initial Teacher Education in Early Years Education or Primary Education as well as an Education Studies + PGCE (3+1) programme. Also on offer are single and half award honours degrees in Early Childhood Studies and Education Studies. Post-graduate Certificate in Education courses are offered as well as a range of professional development courses for teachers, further and higher education teachers and lecturers, and school support staff.
Primary, Early Childhood and Education Studies
The head of department is Dr Penelope Harnett and staff include Patrick Frawley, Dr Elizabeth Newman, Dr Nick Clough and Dr Jane Tarr.
Secondary Education and Lifelong Learning
The head of department is Lynn Raphael Reed and staff include Professor David James, Professor Ann-Marie Bathmaker, Dr Carolyn Bromfield and Dr John Ryan.
The school is home to two research centres, Bristol centre for Research in Lifelong Learning and Education and the Centre for Research in Education and Democracy.
- "Welcome From The Assistant Vice-Chancellor and Dean - School of Education". www1.uwe.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "About the Faculty - Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities". www1.uwe.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-13. "the modern, purpose-built teaching and office block that provides the School of Education with state-of-the-art technology"
- "Undergraduate courses - School of Education". www1.uwe.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "Postgraduate and professional courses - School of Education". www1.uwe.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "School Leadership and Management Roles - School of Education". www1.uwe.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "Welcome to Research at the School of Education". www1.uwe.ac.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-13.