School of Nursing and Health Studies
|Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies|
|Dean||Martin Y. Iguchi|
|Location||Washington, D.C., USA|
Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies (NHS) is one of the four undergraduate schools of Georgetown University. Founded in 1903 as the School of Nursing, it added three other health related majors in 1999 and appended its name to become the School of Nursing & Health Studies. The school has been at the forefront of education in the health care field, offering many programs unique to America's elite institutions. Offering undergraduate and graduate programs in the health sciences, graduates are prepared to enter the complex fields of medicine, law, health policy, and nursing. NHS is made up of the Department of Health Systems Administration, the Department of Human Science, the Department of International Health, and the Department of Nursing.
The Department of Human Science completed the Discovery Center in 2006. The Discovery Center includes a Basic Health Science Teaching Laboratory, a Molecular and Cell Biology Research Laboratory, a Cell Culture Room, a Preparation and Instrument Room, and a Zeiss Axiovert 200 microscope.
In 2011, the Department of Nursing launched an online nursing initiative at the graduate level. The online initiative builds upon Georgetown’s on-campus graduate nursing program. In addition to the online graduate option in nursing, Georgetown will continue offering its on-campus programs.
NHS is home to GUS - Georgetown University Simulator - a full-body, robotic mannequin that can realistically replicate physiological conditions and symptoms and pharmacological responses. The simulator is within the O'Neill Family Foundation Clinical Simulation Center, which includes adult patient simulators, a pediatric patient simulator, five primary care offices, and two hospital units. The Simulation Center is used extensively for clinical education by undergraduate and graduate level nursing programs, as well as by undergraduates in the Department of Human Science.
Several graduate programs within NHS were ranked in the 2012 "America's Best Graduate Schools" edition of U.S. News & World Report. The Nurse Anesthesia Program was ranked 17th, the Healthcare Management Program was ranked 29th, the Nurse Midwifery Program was ranked 19th, and the nursing graduate program was ranked 36th. The school also has an active research program.
Degrees Offered 
Bachelor of Science 
- Health Care Management & Policy
- Human Science
- International Health
- Accelerated Second Degree BSN
Graduates of these programs have pursued careers and/or graduate study in the following areas: medicine, physician assistant, advanced practice nursing, dentistry, podiatry, physical therapy, clinical research, public health, epidemiology, forensics, pharmaceutical sales/marketing, health care law, health care consulting, hospital administration, and many other fields. Certificates are also available for undergraduate students in the following subject areas: International Health and Population Health.
Master of Science 
- MS in Health Systems Administration
- MS in Nursing - On-Campus Option
- Blended Adult ACNP/CCNS
- Direct Entry to Advanced Practice
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nurse Anesthesia
- Nursing Education
- Nurse Midwifery/Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
- MS in Nursing - Online Option
- "Fact Sheet". Retrieved 2007-03-04.[dead link]
- A history of the school from its inception in 1903 to the turn of the century is found in Alma S. Woolley, Learning, Faith, and Caring, 2001, 262 pp. (ISBN 0-9652807-1-3).
- Spindle, Lindsey (July 30, 2003). "Georgetown University School of Nursing and Health Studies Appoints New Director of Development". Office of Communications (Georgetown University). Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "Departments". Nursing and Health Studies. 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2007-04-19.[dead link]
- "Nurse-Anesthesia Graduate Programs Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Healthcare Management Graduate Programs Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Nurse Midwifery Graduate Programs Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Nursing Graduate Programs Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2011-08-05.