Schott AG is a German manufacturer of high-quality industrial glass products. Its main markets are household appliances, pharmaceutical industries, solar energy, electronics, optics, and automotive. According to the 2008 Annual Report, Schott AG employs 17,363 people in 42 countries.
Schott AG manufactures the glass components of Zeiss and Schneider Kreuznach lenses. They also publish the Schott Glass Catalog, a standard reference for the properties of the many optical glasses produced by them and other companies. In 2012 Schott introduced Xensation, a range of break- and scratch-resistant aluminosilicate cover glasses for touch-sensitive electronic devices such as tablet computers, said to have 20% higher bending strength than "competitor glass types" (such as Corning Inc. Gorilla Glass).
In 2009 Schott inaugurated a US$100 million state-of-the-art solar manufacturing facility in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA to build receivers for concentrated solar thermal power plants (CSP) and 64 MW of photovoltaic modules. They had already been making 15 MW of photovoltaics annually in Billerica, Massachusetts, until the factory was closed in 2009. In 2008 Schott said that it planned to produce crystalline PV cells and modules with a total of 450 MW annually. It also planned to produce thin-film PV wafers with a capacity of 100 MW.
On Friday, June 29, 2012, Schott announced that its Albuquerque plant would close down, laying off all photovoltaic cell manufacturing employees immediately and ramping down the remaining employees over the rest of the summer.
- physnews.com: Gorilla Glass maker unveils ultra-thin and flexible Willow Glass
- EE Times: Touchscreen glasses tuned for specific application types, 5 December 2011
- Schott Web site: Xensation
- Schott Solar to shutter PV module production facility in Billerica, MA
- Schott AG to build PV production in USA, 21 January 2008
- Schott Solar Mesa del Sol Plant To Shut
- Official company website
- Official company website US
- Schott Solar May Seek Up to EU700 Million in Initial Offering
- SCHOTT AG Annual Report 2008 Win
|This glass engineering or glass science related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|