Science and Engineering Research Board
Science and Engineering Research Board is an autonomous body under the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009. The Board is chaired by the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Science and Technology and shall have other senior government officials and eminent scientists as members. The Board was set up for promoting basic research in science and engineering and to provide financial assistance to scientists, academic institutions, R&D laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies for such research.
Schemes and programmes
The Board has schemes for funding extramural research, for providing grants for start-up research and for using the scientific expertise of retired scientists. The Board also has programmes for intensifying research in high priority areas, for supporting international travel of scientists, for giving assistance to professional bodies for conducting seminars and symposia, and for awarding fellowships.
List of members of the Board
The following persons are (January 2014) the members of the Board.
- Secretary to the Government of India, Chairperson
- Member-Secretary, Planning Commission
- Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Biotechnology
- Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research
- Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance or his nominee
- Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Health Research
- Professor Devang Vipin Khakhar, Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Professor (Ms.) B.K. Thelma, Department of Genetics, University of Delhi
- Professor Manindra Agrawal, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Professor B.N. Goswami, Director, Indian Institute of Tropical Science and Meteorology, Pune
- Professor (Ms.) Sujatha Ramadorai, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- Professor M.R.S. Rao, President, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Jakkur, Bangalore
- Dr. Anil Kakodkar, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
- Prof. K Srinath Reddy, President, Public Health Foundation of lndia, Delhi
- Dr. C.V. Natraj, 120, Adarsh Vista, Basavanagara, Bangalore
- Professor Bina Agarwal, Director, Institute of Economic Growth, University of Delhi
- "Science and Engineering Research Board". Department of Science & Technology, Goverment of India. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "The Gazette of India (Extraordinary), 11 June 2010". Government of India. Retrieved 6 January 2014.