List of science fiction themes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Science fiction theme)
See also: Science fiction genre
- Creation of the Universe
- The future
- Military science fiction: strategy, weapons, ranks, technologies
- Omega Point
- Parallel worlds or universes
- Quantum suicide and immortality
- Religious ideas in science fiction
- Sci fantasy
- Sci horror
- Sex and sexuality (including gender roles, polygamy, human sexuality and procreation)
- Sociology and sociobiology
- Space Opera
- Alternative intelligences
- Beings of pure mentality
- Hive minds
- Infomorphs—memories, characters, and consciences of persons being uploaded to a computer or storage media
- Noosphere—the "sphere of human thought"
- Solipsism & Solipsism syndrome—the idea that one's own mind is all that exists.
- Artificial intelligence
- Extraterrestrial life (see Extraterrestrial life in culture)
- Living planets (both sentient and non-sentient)
- Uplifted animals—using technology to "raise" non-human animals to human evolutionary levels
Body and mind alterations
- Intelligence amplification
- Life extension, Biological immortality, Universal immortalism and immortality
- Mind interfacing
- Molecular manufacturing & Nanotechnology (nanomilitary, nanomaterials, nanoecology, nanomedicine, nanocomputing, nanospace, nanoenergy)
- Psi powers and psychic phenomena
- Paradise engineering
- Resizing (size-changing, miniaturization, magnification, shrinking, and enlargement)
- Alien Zoo, a zoo where humans are kept as exhibits.
- Arcologies—enormous habitats (hyperstructures) of extremely high human population density
- Climate: future dealing with effects of anthropogenic climate change and global warming at the end of the Holocene era
- Domed city
- Exploring alien habitats.
- Floating City
- Seasteading & Ocean colonization
- Reality Television
- An Earth-bound reality game where losing contestants are killed.
- The protagonist discovers their life has been one big reality television show for aliens.
- Space colonization
- Underground city
- Walking City
Main article: Political ideas in science fiction
- Alien Contact
- Anarcho-capitalism (see: Anarcho-capitalist literature and Libertarian science fiction)
- Dystopias and utopias
- Galactic empires
- Legal personality
Main article: Libertarian science fiction
- Limited-franchise republic
- Mind reading and mind control
- National security state
- Proportional representation
- Totalitarianism vs. Libertarianism (see: Libertarian science fiction)
- World government
- Zero population growth
- Alien invasions
- Apocalypses or world wide disasters
- Post-apocalyptic life: new societies that develop after the event
- Race of the Future
- Ultimate fate of the Universe & Kardashev scale
- Artificial gravity
- Artificial intelligence
- Astronomical engineering
- Self-replicating machines
- Star lifting & Stellar engineering
- Megascale engineering & Planetary engineering
- Alien technology being found and used by humans.
- Far advanced technology for the time.
- Virtual reality and simulated reality
- Weapons in science fiction
- Colonization of other planets, moons, asteroids, etc.
- Moving planets
- Space exploration
- Time travel
- Alternate histories: time travel can be used as a plot device to explore parallel universes. While alternate history has its own category (see above), it often occurs in time travel stories as well.
- The Grandfather paradox: can someone go back in time and kill his parents before they beget the killer?
- Time loop
- Travel to the Earth's center