Scientists, Technologists and Artists Generating Exploration
Scientists, Technologists and Artists Generating Exploration (STAGE) was created in 2005 to encourage collaboration between artists and scientists. Originally, it began as a partnership between the Professional Artists Lab and the California NanoSystems Institute at the University of California, Santa Barbara. STAGE, which is housed at California NanoSystems Institute, hosts a biennial international script competition and a Collaboratory.
The founder and director of STAGE is Nancy Kawalek, a Studio Professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
The STAGE International Script Competition awards a $10,000 prize to the best new play about science and technology.
A panel of artists and scientists serve as jurors for each cycle of the competition. Judges have included
- Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning playwright David Auburn
- Tony, Oliver, and Obie Award winning playwright John Guare
- Pulitzer Prize winning playwright David Lindsay-Abaire
- Nobel Laureate in physics Sir Anthony Leggett, KBE
- Nobel Laureate in chemistry Alan Heeger
- Nobel Laureate in physics David Gross
Playwrights who have won the competition include
- Jamie Pachino for Splitting Infinity
- Elyse Singer for Frequency Hopping
- Anna Ziegler for Photograph 51
- Craig Baxter for The Altruists
In 2009, STAGE launched The Collaboratory, an artistic laboratory for the development of theatrical works that have a multi-media component and that feature science and technology. The first play being created in The Collaboratory is The Brain Project.
The Brain Project
Participants of The Brain Project include
- Alyssa Anderson
- Dwier Brown
- Michael Gazzaniga, PhD
- Angela Goethals
- Scott Grafton, MD
- Geoffrey Grinstein, PhD
- Nancy Kawalek
- Kenneth Kosik, MD
- James Lashly
- Maurizio Seracini, PhD
- Deb Norton
- "STAGE". Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Film and Media Studies:Nancy Kawalek". Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- Matt Kettmann. "Third Annual Playwriting Competition Puts Science on the Stage". Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Tony, Olivier, Pulitzer & Nobel Winners to Judge Internation Script Competition in 2010". broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Science Friday Video: Splitting Infinity". Science Friday. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Frequency Hopping". Hourglass Group. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- Gordon Cox (5 August 2008). "Anna Ziegler wins Stage competition". Variety. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Awards and Prizes". American Theatre. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "STAGE Collaboratory". Retrieved 25 October 2011.