Scioto Country Club
The Scioto Country Club during a golf tournament held on October 5, 1918
|Location||Upper Arlington, Ohio|
|Designed by||Donald Ross|
|Length||7,140 yards (6,529 m)|
|Course rating||75.4 |
Scioto Country Club, is a private country club and golf course in Upper Arlington, Ohio, a suburb northwest of Columbus. Designed by Donald Ross, the golf course opened in 1916 and has hosted five PGA/USGA tournaments, including two majors.
Scioto is one of only four courses to host the U.S. Open, the PGA Championship, the Ryder Cup, and the U.S. Amateur. (The others are Oak Hill Country Club (east), Oakland Hills Country Club (south), and Pinehurst Resort (#2): all four courses were designed by Donald Ross.)
Its championship golf course was renovated in 2008 by Nicklaus and Michael Hurdzan. Over $6 million in improvements to its facilities are underway, and it was announced on April 17th, 2012 that the course would host the 2016 U.S. Senior Open.
Scioto is consistently ranked as one of the best courses in the United States. Currently, Golf Week ranks Scioto as the 53rd best Classic Course in the United States . It was ranked #49 in 2005. Golf Digest has Scioto ranked 59th , while Golf Magazine lists it as the 43rd best course (ranked 42nd in 2005).
Golf Digest rated this 36th best out of "America's 100 Greatest Courses" for 1995-96, and 32nd best for 1997-98. The same publication rated it as the 4th "Best in State" course for 1995-96, and 3rd best for 1997-98. In the category of "Top 100 Courses in the U.S." it was selected 29th by Golf Magazine in 1995, 33rd in 1997 and 43rd in 1999. Golf Week rated it 38th among "America's 100 Best Classical Courses" for 1997, 45th in 1998 and 47th in 1999.
Scioto is also ranked the 6th best course in Ohio by Golf Digest for 2005-2006.
- 1926 U.S. Open - Bobby Jones (amateur)
- 1931 Ryder Cup - United States defeated Great Britain 9-3
- 1950 PGA Championship - Chandler Harper
- 1968 U.S. Amateur - Bruce Fleisher
- 1986 U.S. Senior Open - Dale Douglass
- "Course Tour". Scioto Country Club. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "Scioto Country Club". USGA National Course Rating Database. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- Nicklaus, Jack (June 26, 2008). "Confidence Game". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "SCIOTO C.C. TO HOST 2016 U.S. SENIOR OPEN". Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Scioto CC to host 2016 U.S. Senior Open". Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Scioto Country Club to host 2016 U.S. Senior Open". "The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved April 15, 2014.