Scioto Township, Delaware County, Ohio
|Scioto Township, Delaware County, Ohio|
Location of Scioto Township in Delaware County
|• Total||35.1 sq mi (91.0 km2)|
|• Land||34.7 sq mi (89.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||942 ft (287 m)|
|• Density||72.8/sq mi (28.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086056|
Scioto Township is one of the eighteen townships of Delaware County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,527 people in the township, 2,122 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Thompson Township - north
- Radnor Township - northeast
- Delaware Township - east
- Concord Township - southeast
- Millcreek Township, Union County - south
- Dover Township, Union County - southwest
- Leesburg Township, Union County - northwest
The village of Ostrander is located in southwestern Scioto Township.
Name and history
Scioto Township was formed in 1814.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Delaware County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Delaware County and Ohio. O. L. Baskin & Company. 1880. p. 482.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.