|Type of site||Learning Management System, Social network service|
|Available language(s)||English, German, Spanish, Russian|
|Created by||Gregor Gimmy
|Launched||20 Oct 2006|
|Alexa rank||11,426,664 (December 2013[update])|
Sclipo // was a Learning Management System, providing a fully hosted Online Campus solution with web applications that support face-to-face and distance education. The project seems to have closed near the end of 2012.
A Sclipo Online Campus provides synchronous and asynchronous web applications to learn, teach, socialize, administer, promote and sell face-to-face as well as online education services and content.
- Learning & Teaching applications are Course Manager, Library and a Virtual Classroom for live teaching. Features of the Course Manager include a learning path, tests, discussion forum, content sharing, progress control and live web classes. The Library allows teachers to store and share content in multiple formats: documents, videos, audio and images. Teachers can upload own content to their Library and add that from popular generic content-sharing websites such as Slideshare, Scribd, Vimeo and YouTube. The Virtual Classroom application allows to hold live classes, webinars and meetings via a web conferencing system over the Internet. Features include multiple video and audio sharing, desktop sharing, presentations with integrated whiteboard, and public and private chat.
- Social applications include a private personal profile, a contact network, online groups, an event organizer, discussion forums, walls, feeds, the ability to follow Online Campuses, a messaging system and Facebook Connect. Sclipo also provides a social network of Online Campuses with central search and browse capabilities, called Campus, enabling teachers and students from different Online Campuses to connect and share.
- Administration applications include tools to customize the look & feel, name and URL of the Online Campus, to set privacy levels of activities and content, to set admission policies, to invite and administer students and teachers.
- Promotion and eCommerce applications include a Campus Classifieds on which new courses, content and live sessions can be announced, as well as features to promote courses and content on social media, features to define prices and forms of payment, and a gateway to collect fees for courses and other educational services by credit card.
Founded by Gregor Gimmy, Sclipo was launched on October 20, 2006 (then called Visuarios), as a website to share user-generated educational videos. The initial product allowed professional and amateur teachers to share knowledge online through video, making Sclipo one of the first websites of user-generated educational videos. Sclipo then recognized that independent teachers, small schools and companies in continuous education growingly used generic web applications for teaching such as Skype for live web classes and Slideshare to share documents. In addition, Sclipo saw that current learning management systems, such as Moodle or Blackboard, were too complex and expensive for a small, 1-15 teacher-sized, educational entity. Sclipo then decided to expand its offering and create a suite of web applications specifically for learning purposes and adapted to the needs of small educational entities in continuous education. These were launched continuously, the first one being the Virtual Classroom (live teaching) application in September 2007. Sclipo website went down about November 2012, and since then redirects to a Spanish informational web catalog, http://www.uncomo.com/.
- Nominated for TheEuropas, Best Learning Startup 2010 by Techcrunch
- Winner, White Bull Award 2010
- Finalist, Plugg Start-Ups Rally 2010
- Winner, Red Herring Global 100, 2008
- First Prize, European Startup 2.0 Awards, 2007
- Learning management system
- Course management system
- Virtual learning environment
- Virtual campus
- Web application
- Web conferencing
- "Sclipo.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "About Sclipo". sclipo.com. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Sclipo Feature Overview". sclipo.com. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Visuarios: un YouTube educatif". Francis Pisani, Transnets, Le Monde Blogs. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Happy 4th launch-day!". Gregor Gimmy, Sclipo blog. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Sclipo – Web Learning Application". Gregor Gimmy, Sclipo blog. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Interview with Gregor Gimmy, Sclipo.com -- Innovators in e-Learning Series". Susan Smith Nash, E-Learning Queen blog. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Sclipo Releases Live Video Teaching". Techcrunch. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "TheEuropas Awards 2010". Techcrunch. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "White Bull Award Winners 2010". White Bull website. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Plugg Start-Ups Rally Finalists 2010". Plugg website. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "Red Herring Global 100, Winners 2008". BPovia. Retrieved 2010 11 09.
- "European Startup 2.0 Award Winners, 2007". Startup 2.0 award website. Retrieved 2010 11 09.