Scooby Doo! Mystery Mayhem
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2009)|
|Scooby Doo! Mystery Mayhem|
PAL region Xbox cover art
|Release date(s)||Game Boy Advance
GC, PS2 & Xbox
A guard is busy patrolling the Hambridge library when he is scared off by something unseen. Mystery Inc. are called by Alan Dinsdale, a librarian and old friend of Velma to Hambridge Library. He explains that ghosts have started appearing and that visitors have fled. The only person left is Walter Peabody, Alan's assistant. He claims that someone took the key to the basement and they attempt to find it. While searching the library, Shaggy and Scooby duck into hiding when the see a ghost coming towards them and opening a door in the back in which they discovered that it's a way to the basement. The duo eventually come across a strange book in which they learned that it's a magical book that releases supernatural creatures. After it devours a ghost coming towards them, they plan to show it to the others. They begin using it to trap several monsters back inside its pages. Now Fred, Velma, Daphne, Shaggy and Scooby are on a wild goose chase, trying to solve the mystery and sealing the monsters back in the book.
The duo come across Velma who has lost her glasses after following a weird ghost. After they find her glasses they show her the magic book in which she says it's a grim-war and also pages are missing from it. The duo begin fighting their way back to the where they started where they show the others the magic book. Dinsdale tells them that the book is called the Tome of Doom which frightens Shaggy and Scooby. Unfortunely there's another Tome of Doom in the nearby case that Velma believes to be fake. Velma finds the papers that Shaggy and Scooby found with the Tome of Doom. Shaggy sees the ghost they saw earlier and chases after him. The ghost pushes a bookshelf that moves like a secret door and separates Shaggy from Scooby. After he finds Shaggy they begin fighting the ghosts in the room. After that, the fake ghost gets chased by a real ghost which allows the duo to capture him. They were confused why the ghost didn't get pulled into the book until Velma believes that he isn't a ghost at all. He is revealed to be Walter who didn't want anyone to know that he made a fake Tome of Doom while he tried to steal the real one. But they didn't know why would he do this and rip out the pages from the Tome of Doom. Walter is arrested, and the group are called by the Milton Brothers, who are also having problems with the supernatural. Alan allows Velma to continue borrowing the Tome of Doom for further analysis, but a strange woman watches them as they leave.
The group arrive at the Miltons Movie Studio, where they are greeted by the two Milton Brothers, who are famous filmmakers, and the unpleasant Robert Zabrinski, a stylish businessman who has been trying to buy the studio for a company called Greenwood Development. The brothers explain that a particular monsters are causing mayhem and havoc in the studio. The group split up and look around. Shaggy and Scooby make their way through Studio A where a Red Knight kidnaps Scooby. Shaggy chases him and sees him going into Studio B and Velma and one of the Milton Brothers show up and ask Shaggy about the Red Knight in which he tells them what happened. He goes into the studio and finds Scooby and Daphne locked in cages and Daphne sees a crane the he can use to lift up Scooby's cage. Saggy discovers a fuse and gear are missing and goes to find them. After repairing the crane he frees Scooby but the Red night attacks them and they use a catapult to send him flying and he escapes, leaving his helmet behind and the duo find it. After the free Daphne, they begin dealing with many mummies before going back outside where they learn that one of the Milton brothers has disappeared. The group and the other Milton brother set up a trap for the Red Knight, who is revealed to be Robert. He explains that he dressed up as the knight to scare them and workers away with the monsters to force them to sale the studio. The missing brother is found, saying that Robert wrapped him in bandages after he witnessed him dressing up in the Red Knight costume. They learned that Peabody sent he pages of the Tome of Doom to help him, meaning that the library case and the studio case are linked. Shaggy and Scooby take part in one of the movies.
Meanwhile, at a secret headquarters, a woman receives word that Walter and Robert have been arrested. A mysterious figure calls them all "weak links" and decides to move on with "the plan". The group travel to the theme park to investigate more monster there. They meet Johnny Channayakpatra, owner of the park, and Mindi Stiles, the only employee left working. Johnny explains that the theme park is haunted by several ghosts. Shaggy and Scooby fihead to the hhotel and after an eating contest between the two Shaggy falls through the floor. After scooby finds him they exit the basement and encounter a dustdevil. After they rescue Fred, sthey discover a safe in the bank and try to find a way to open it. The duo find food in a mine cart and begin eating until a woman starts the ride that takes them into the tunnel. After surviving the ride, they exit the mine and enter the school where they discover some costumes and the combination to the safe. Inside the safe was another page for the Tome of Doom. After defeating the dustdevils, they head to the park where they find a giant dustdevil spining a merry-go-around with Fred, Daphne, and Channayapatra on it.
Shaggy and Scooby use the Tome of Doom to fight against it and after being defeated, it revealed the mysterious woman that was causing problems to them which turns out to be Mindi. They learn that Robert was also trying to buy the theme park, and she lured Shaggy and Scooby with food and is arrested.
After a period of time, the gang head to an abandoned house in the middle of a swamp. Velma explains that the area is haunted by the living dead and scared all the members of the house. Further exploring sees that the side of a river is an army camp, who can fend off the living dead with laser guns. The leader is Jeremy Rhodes, an employee at Greenwood Development, an organisation of people who study the paranormal. He and his men are there to investigate the living dead, but the cause of them seems to be from portals, found in many areas of the swamp. Jeremy suggests that they go to Sherman-Tech Headquarters to find answers.
Fred books a tour at the Sherman Tech Headquarters, a scientific research and experimental institute. Inside is Travis Sherman, founder of Sherman-Tech, his chief executive officer Selena Drake and several scientists in labs. While Fred, Velma and Daphne take the tour, Shaggy and Scooby sneak off and infiltrate the laborious institute. Later, they find the Spooker 3000, a laser gun that can fend off ghosts. The scientists take an interest in Shaggy and Scooby. After finding several clues, they return to the others, who have been brainwashed by Travis and Selena. They are revealed to be the masterminds of the whole "Tome of Doom" case.
Selena Drake is "S.D.", the person who sent Walter to do her work at the library. Walter passed the missing pages of the book to Zabrinski, who in turn passed some to Mindi, who all used them to summon ghosts. Travis explains that they have built transmitters all over the land of the United States to brainwash all humans by a special machine they have built. Shaggy and Scooby manage to disable the machine, releasing Fred, Velma and Daphne to their normal selves.
Alan unexpectedly arrives, followed by the lab scientists. They reveal themselves to be undercover agents, revealing that Alan is one too, much to Velma's surprise. Alan explains that they have suspected Travis's scheme for months and now they can finally be arrested. Travis surrenders, however, Selena snaps, becoming mentally unstable and releases the most powerful spirits of the "Tome of Doom", the fire ghosts, including the strongest spirit, the Fire King, before Selena flees onto the institute's monorail system. Subsequently all ghosts are put back in the book by Shaggy and Scooby. Selena is captured and finally arrested.
Scooby and Shaggy are thanked by Alan, who in turn gives them Scooby Snacks for their troubles. The gang and the agents all celebrate their latest case.
The levels are very basic: there are three main objectives:
- Seal all the monsters in the level.
- Find the five clues.
- Complete the level and its missions.
There are also collectible sandwich ingredients in each level that unlock mini-games.
Levels and Biological Villains
There are five levels: The Haunting of Hambridge, Mayhem at the Movies, Weird Wild West, Bad Juju In The Bayou and the hardest level, Hi-Tech Terror. The villains are (from first to fifth), Walter Peabody, Robert Zabrinski, Mindi Stiles, the fourth level does not a have a biological villain, and the fifth and final villain is Selena Drake who Scooby and Shaggy chases around the hi-tech mansion-like laboratory. The costumes are a ghost, the Red Knight and a mysterious woman
- Standard Ghosts: Similar to the Green Ghost except a darker green and a dark blue glow to cover it.
- Mini Green Phantoms: A mini (Baby) version of the Green Phantoms. These ones can move faster than their other versions.
- Green Phantoms: A giant green-colored ghost similar to the Standard Ghosts only the glow is light green and its size is huge.
- Shadows: These guys hang on the walls in a few levels; they're pesky but easy to defeat.
- Mummy: These ghosts walk slow just like zombies but it only takes two hits to scare Scooby and Shaggy and lose all their cool.
- Poltergeist: These ghosts throw items at Shaggy and Scooby; they also try to trap people, but they are hard to seek out as well.
- Dust Devil: These ghosts are made out of a tornado and can spin shaggy and scooby in the air
- Zombies: These monsters can only attack by either punching or using a weapon.
- Flame Ghosts: These ghosts are similar to Standard Ghosts as well, only they are gray or purple. They also throw fire, which gave them their name.
- Fake Ghost: He tries to attack you by running into you, knocking you back a little, causing no damage, and can turn bookshelves, also causing no damage. To beat him, suck up all of the ghosts that are following his orders. After doing this, a ghost will realize that the fake ghost isn't real, and scare him off.
- Red Knight: He chases you throughout the studio. If he touches you, you instantly loose all of your cool. To beat him, run through the studio while he keeps taking damage from the traps. After three laps, run into the castle, and the Red Knight gets captured by a giant net.
- Giant Dust Devil: He breaks himself into smaller dust devils while launching horses from the rapidly spinning horse ride. When you suck up enough of his dust devil pawns, The last remains of him come down in one piece. In this state, he behaves like a normal dust devil, except he is bigger, faster, and takes a longer time to suck up. Once you suck him up, you win.
- Big Zombie: At first, you have to suck up the three zombies that are terrorizing the van. After you do this, The big zombie will come down and fight you. He attacks like a regular zombie, except he can stomp on the ground and send a shock wave through it, and, like a normal zombie, can breathe on you with smelly breath. To defeat him, just keep trying to suck him up until he is finally gone.
- Giant Fire Ghost: This is the final boss of the game. He can launch fireballs at you, and if you activate a sprinkler, he will throw a large amount of fireballs, all at one time. If there are less than two normal fire ghosts on the field, the next fire ball he throws will summon one. Your goal is to make the giant fire ghost wither away the rocks that are blocking the sprinkler, and then activate them. Once you have activated all four sprinklers, Velma will activate the rain to get rid of the giant fire ghost's fire, but the battle is not over yet. Like normal fire ghosts, the giant fire ghost turns into a normal ghost from water. In this state, he acts like a much bigger version of a regular ghost, except he follows you. All you have to do is suck him up completely, and you will have beaten the game.
When something scares Scooby and Shaggy, their Cool Meter is drained. If the Cool Meter is totally drained, the next time an enemy catches Scooby or Shaggy, they will run away and have to start at their last save point. To replenish the Cool Meter, Scooby and Shaggy find Scooby Snacks.
There is a small circle representing radar. The yellow triangle in the center represents Scooby and Shaggy, red dots on the Radar are enemies, and blue dots on the Radar are bosses.
- Scott Innes - Scooby-Doo, Shaggy
- Frank Welker - Fred, Doug Milton, Mummy
- Grey DeLisle - Daphne, Selena Drake, Mindi Stiles, Actress, ShermanTech Scientist
- Mindy Cohn - Velma
- Jeff Bennett - Alan Dinsdale, Walter Peabody, Robert Zabrinski, Travis Sherman, Mercanary
- Tom Kenny - Earl Milton, Johnny Channayapatra, Billy Bob, Mercanary, ShermanTech Scientist
- James Arnold Taylor - Jeremy Rhodes, Zombie, ShermanTech Scientist, Watchman, Security Guard
- Jennifer Hale - Poltergeist, Computer Voice, ShermanTech Scientist