|Genre||News, current affairs|
|Directed by||John Mason
|Presented by||John MacKay (Mon/Tue),
Rona Dougall (Wed/Thu)
|Theme music composer||Rage Music|
|Country of origin||Scotland|
|Executive producer(s)||Howard Simpson|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||STV News|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)
|Original run||October 24, 2011– present|
|Preceded by||Politics Now (Thursdays)|
|Related shows||STV News at Six|
Scotland Tonight is a Scottish news and current affairs programme, covering the two STV franchise areas of Northern and Central Scotland, produced by STV News. The programme is presented by STV News at Six West anchor John MacKay on Mondays & Tuesdays and former Sky News Scotland correspondent Rona Dougall on Wednesdays & Thursday.
The half-hour programme, which launched on Monday 24 October 2011, replacing the former STV political programme Politics Now. Scotland today airs at 22:30 on Monday - Thursday nights and features reports, interviews & analysis on the Scottish national news of the day alongside coverage of politics, business, sport and the arts & entertainment.
Scotland Tonight is broadcast across both STV regions (North & Central) and incorporates late news bulletins for Glasgow & West Central Scotland, Edinburgh, Fife & the Lothians and the STV North region. Separate late bulletins for the three regions also air after ITV News at Ten on Friday nights. The programme is broadcast from studio 1 at STV's Glasgow studios, sharing the studio with the West edition of STV News at Six.
An afternoon repeat airs at 15.00 the following day on STV Glasgow, which also simulcasts the programme live.
- Rangers - The Downfall: 14 June 2012
- Independence Referendum: Edinburgh Agreement: 15 October 2012
- Referendum Debate: Nicola Sturgeon vs Michael Moore: 16 May 2013
- Referendum Debate: Nicola Sturgeon vs Anas Sarwar: 5 September 2013
- Referendum Debate: Nicola Sturgeon vs Alistair Carmichael: 27 November 2013
- Referendum Interactive Debate: 29 November 2013
- 2013 Glasgow helicopter crash: 2 December 2013
- Referendum Debate: Nicola Sturgeon vs Johann Lamont: 25 February 2014
- Europe Special: 2 April 2014, live from Brussels.
- Death of Margo MacDonald: Friday 4 April 2014
- Salmond & Darling: The Debate (reaction and analysis): Tuesday 5 August 2014
Special extend programmes are also held for any Scottish By-election, presented by Bernard Ponsonby.
- "Scotland Tonight: STV launches new nightly news and current affairs programme". stv.tv. 25 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- "Welcome to Scotland Tonight: STV launches new current affairs programme". stv.tv. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-19.