Scott Campbell (tattoo artist)
|Known for||Tattoo, Mixed media|
|Spouse(s)||Lake Bell (m. 2013)|
|Scott Campbell Website|
Campbell grew up in the bayous of New Orleans, Louisiana, with a conservative upbringing, in a Southern Baptist family that sparked his search for something different. He graduated in 1995 from Kingwood High School. Early on, Campbell debated the idea of a middle-class life. At the University of Texas he studied biochemistry and planned a career as a medical illustrator. Soon he dropped out.
In his 20s Campbell moved to San Francisco and began working as a copy editor for Lawrence Ferlinghetti, at City Lights Bookstore. It was then that he began tattooing. He traveled Asia and Europe, where he tattooed for cash, then moved to Williamsburg in 2001.
When he moved to New York in 2005 he opened his own tattoo shop, called Saved Tattoo. It was here that Scott's career led to fame. His first celebrity client was Heath Ledger, who commissioned a small bird in flight on his left forearm.
As a visual artist Campbell is best known for a series of reliefs he creates using sheets of uncirculated US currency. He exhibits regularly internationally; his first show sold out at OHWOW, a gallery in Miami, Fl (April 2009). The gallery opened a location in New York at which Campbell had a solo show in April 2010. Campbell is represented by Galerie Gmurzynska. His solo exhibition "Bless This Mess" took place at their Zurich location in January 2012.
Campbell met actress Lake Bell on the set of her HBO show How to Make It in America in 2011. They were married on June 1, 2013, in New Orleans. In late October 2014, Bell's representative confirmed the couple had welcomed a baby girl.
- Bless This Mess (January 2012), Zurich, Switzerland
- Noblesse Oblige (March 19-April 22, 2011), Los Angeles, CA
- Make It Rain (April 11-May 9, 2009), Miami, FL
- Williams, Alex (April 14, 2010). "Up Close - Scott Campbell, Tattoo Artist, Expands to Fine Art". The New York Times.
- Maxwell Williams (May 24, 2013). "Tatoo Artist Scott Campbell". Hollywood Reporter.
- "Scott Campbell". Inked.
- Morgon, Kim. "He's Making his mark in NYC". Houston Chronicle.
- Camblim, Victoria. "Scott Campbell, Great American Folk Artist." 032c 17 May 2011. Web. 26 Aug. 2011.
- Teran, Andi (26 Aug 2011). "Ink Different: Master Artist Scott Campbell on Getting Your First Tattoo". The Daily Details blog.
- Monica Rizzo (June 1, 2013). "Lake Bell Marries Scott Campbell". People.com. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Webber, Stephanie (October 25, 2014). "Lake Bell Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl With Husband Scott Campbell". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Noblesse Oblige". oh-wow. Los Angeles, CA. March 19-April 22. Check date values in:
- "Make It Rain". oh-wow. Miami, FL. April 11 – May 9, 2009.