Scott Campbell (tattoo artist)
|Known for||Tattoo, Mixed media|
|Spouse(s)||Lake Bell (m. 2013)|
|Scott Campbell Website|
Campbell grew up in the bayous of New Orleans, Louisiana, with a conservative upbringing, in a Southern Baptist family, that sparked his search for something different. He is a 1995 graduate of Kingwood High School. Early on, Campbell debated the idea of a middle-class life. At the University of Texas he studied biochemistry and planned a career as a medical illustrator. Soon he dropped out.
In his 20s he moved to San Francisco and began working as a copy editor for Lawrence Ferlinghetti at City Lights Bookstore. It was then that he began tattooing. He traveled Asia and Europe, where he tattooed for cash, then moved to Williamsburg in 2001.
When he moved to New York in 2005 he opened his own tattoo shop called Saved Tattoo. It was here that Scott's career led to fame. His first celebrity client was Heath Ledger who commissioned a small bird in flight on his left forearm.
As a visual artist Campbell is best known for a series of reliefs he creates using sheets of uncirculated US currency. He exhibits regularly internationally, his first show sold out at OHWOW, a gallery in Miami, Fl (April 2009). The gallery opened a location in New York at which Campbell had a solo show in April 2010. Campbell is represented by Galerie Gmurzynska. His solo exhibition "Bless This Mess" took place at their Zurich location in January 2012.
Louis Vuitton Creative Director Marc Jacobs collaborated with Scott Campbell, where by he customized a number of fancy leather bags for men line for the 2011' S/S collection.
- Williams, Alex (April 14, 2010). "Up Close - Scott Campbell, Tattoo Artist, Expands to Fine Art". The New York Times.
- Morgon, Kim. "He's Making his mark in NYC". Houston Chronicle.
- Camblim, Victoria. "Scott Campbell, Great American Folk Artist." 032c 17 May 2011. Web. 26 Aug. 2011.
- Teran, Andi. "Ink Different: Master Artist Scott Campbell on Getting Your First Tattoo : The Daily Details: Blog : Details." Details. Conde Nast, 18 Aug. 2011. Web. 26 Aug. 2011. <http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2011/08/ink-different-master-artist-scott-campbell-on-getting-your-first-tattoo.html>.
- Monica Rizzo (June 1, 2013). "Lake Bell Marries Scott Campbell". People.com. Retrieved August 13, 2013.