Scott Cooper (director)
Scott Cooper at the 25th Independent Spirit Awards in Los Angeles on March 5, 2010.
|Born||Abingdon, Virginia, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Hampden–Sydney College|
|Occupation||Actor, screenwriter, director, producer|
Scott Cooper (born 22nd June 1970) is an American actor, writer, director, and producer. He is known for writing, directing and producing the 2009 film Crazy Heart starring Jeff Bridges. The film, released by Fox Searchlight Pictures, has received a number of accolades, including awards presented by the Chicago Film Critics Association, the Independent Spirit Awards and by the Writers Guild of America. He received his first film credits as an actor in projects like Gods and Generals and the TV mini-series Broken Trail.
Cooper trained as an actor at Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in New York City, N.Y. He received both his undergraduate degree in 1992 and his Doctor of Human Letters in 2014 from Hampden–Sydney College in Hampden Sydney, Virginia. 
He is married and lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Jocelyne. He has two daughters, Ava and Stella.
Barry Levinson was set to direct a film based on Whitey Bulger, the Boston crime boss. The film Black Mass (script by Jim Sheridan, Jez Butterworth, and Russell Gewirtz) is based on the book by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill, and is said to be the "true story of Billy Bulger, Whitey Bulger, FBI agent John Connolly and the FBI's witness protection program that was created by J. Edgar Hoover." Later in January 2014 Cooper attached to re-write and direct the film.
Cooper's influences come from life experiences of growing up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and stories of the human condition. Besides the music of Ralph Stanley and Bill Monroe, Cooper has been influenced by singer-songwriters like Townes Van Zandt, Merle Haggard, and R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe.
Cooper's principal film-making mentor has been veteran actor, producer and director, Robert Duvall. He and Duvall met on the set of Gods and Generals and struck up a friendship. Cooper was married on Duvall's 300-acre (1.2 km2) Virginia estate. The two appeared together in Broken Trail and Duvall produced and appeared in Cooper's film Crazy Heart.
Filmography & Career
- 2009: For Sale by Owner – co-producer
- 2009: Crazy Heart
- 2011: Are You Afraid of the Dark – co-producer
- 2009: For Sale by Owner
- 2009: Crazy Heart
- 2013: Out of the Furnace
- 1998: Dry Martini .... Robert
- 1999: Perfect Fit .... Guy in bar
- 1999: Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me .... Klansman's Son – Bobby
- 1999: The X-Files .... Max Harden (TV, 1 episode), also known as Rush
- 2000: Takedown .... Jake Cronin (also known as Hackers 2: Takedown and Track Down (DVD))
- 2001: Bill's Gun Shop .... Dillion McCarthy
- 2001: Rain .... Pvt. Holland
- 2001: The District .... Michael Barrett (TV, 1 episode, 2001) (also known as "Lost and Found")
- 2003: Gods and Generals .... Lt. Joseph Morrison
- 2003: Save It for Later .... Jake O'Connor (also known as Water Under the Bridge)
- 2003: Attitude .... Rails
- 2006: Broken Trail .... Gilpin (TV mini-series)
- 2009: For Sale by Owner .... Will Custis
- 2009: Get Low .... Carl
Awards and nominations
- Nominated for Most Promising Director for Crazy Heart at CFCA Award 2009
- Nominated for Best Screenplay for Crazy Heart at 2010 Independent Spirit Awards
- Nominated for Best Screenplay for Crazy Heart at 2010 Writers Guild of America Awards
- http://www.hsc.edu/News/News-Articles/Cooper.html. Missing or empty
- Cooper has mentioned this in interviews, including the Roanoke Times, Feb. 5, 2010. See the full article
- Roanoke Times, February 5, 2010
- Rottenberg, Josh (February 22, 2013). "Hollywood Insider: What's Going on Behind the Scenes: Boston's Bulger is Now Hollywood's It Gangster". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 27.
- Cappadona, Bryanna (June 20, 2013). "Who Should Play Whitey Bulger in Black Mass?". Boston. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (14 January 2014). "‘Out Of The Furnace’ Helmer Scott Cooper In Talks For ‘Black Mass;’ Johnny Depp Talks To Play Whitey Bulger Reignite". deadline.com. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Variety, Jan. 20, 2010
- L.A. Times, Dec. 22, 2009
- "For Sale by Owner". The New York Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scott Cooper (actor).|
- Scott Cooper at the Internet Movie Database
- L.A. Times Blogs: "The Body and Soul Behind Crazy Heart"