|Yomiuri Giants – No. 20|
February 27, 1984 |
Vancouver, British Columbia
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 17, 2006 for the Philadelphia Phillies|
(through 2011 season)
|Earned run average||6.75|
While playing for the Langley Blaze of the B.C. Premier Baseball League, Mathieson was drafted in the 17th round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft – 509th overall – by the Phillies. He made his professional debut in the Gulf Coast League (GCL), going 0–2 with an earned run average of 5.40 in seven games. In 2003, he went 2–7 with a 5.52 ERA in the GCL. That year, he also pitched six perfect innings in one game for the Batavia Muckdogs of the New York-Penn League, including 7 strikeouts. In 2004, he pitched for the Lakewood BlueClaws of the South Atlantic League, going 8–9 with an ERA of 4.32 and 112 strikeouts. In 2005, he continued to show improvement. Although he went 3–8 for the Clearwater Threshers of the FSL, he had an ERA of 4.14, 118 strikeouts, and only 34 walks in 1212⁄3 innings. During the season, he also pitched in the All-Star Futures Game for the World team. After the season, he was named by Baseball America as the Phillies' fourth-best prospect and the organization's best right-handed pitching prospect.
Mathieson began a rehabilitation program late in the 2007 season, but removed himself from a game August 31 while pitching for Double-A Reading when he felt "a strange sensation in his elbow." The Phillies announced September 4 that Mathieson would not return during 2007 due to inflammation of the ulnar nerve. Mathieson was scheduled to play in the 2007 Arizona Fall League with the Peoria Saguaros, but didn't.
On June 17, 2010, Mathieson was recalled from the Lehigh Valley IronPigs to the Philadelphia Phillies, where he remained for several weeks. He also spent parts of the 2011 season with the club in addition to his time with Lehigh Valley.
- Canada. "Sports - The Globe and Mail". Sports.theglobeandmail.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del. ¦ The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (BL,20070902,SPORTS01,709020395,AR)[dead link]
- By Ken Mandel / MLB.com (2007-08-28). "The Official Site of The Philadelphia Phillies: News: Notes: Hamels' return up in the air". Philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "The Official Site of The Philadelphia Phillies: Official Info: Phillies Minor Leaguers' fall schedule". Philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Hagen, Paul (2009-07-08). "Phillies former prospect Mathieson slowly making way back". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 2009-07-08.[dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Scott Mathieson headed to Japan". Associated Press. 2 December 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)