Scott Mead is an American-born fine art photographer, philanthropist and investor based in London. He was a partner and managing director at Goldman Sachs and currently serves as chair of the board of Trustees of The Photographers' Gallery in London.
Scott Mead began his banking career after having graduated from Harvard College, Cambridge University and University of Pennsylvania with a BA, M.Phil and JD respectively. In 1982, Mead began his career at First Boston Corporation before joining Goldman Sachs in 1986. In 1987, he was transferred to London to help build Goldman Sachs' European and global investment banking efforts. Mead became a partner and managing director, leading among other things the global telecom, media and technology group before leaving the company in 2003.
During his time at Goldman Sachs, Mead led teams advising on a variety of major deals, the most notable being Vodafone's approximate US$200 billion takeover of Mannesmann. At that time, the deal was one of the world's largest corporate acquisitions and was the first time that a major German corporation had been taken over by a foreign company. The takeover was led by Chris Gent, then CEO of Vodafone, with Mead representing Goldman Sachs as chief advisor.
From 2006 to 2008, Mead was a Senior Advisor and chairman of the Technology and Telecommunications Advisory Board at Apax Partners. In 2009, he co-founded Richmond Park Partners, a private merchant bank in London.
Fine art photography and the photographer's gallery
A solo exhibition of Mead's work from his college days, entitled "Looking Back", was exhibited at Hamiltons Gallery in London during September 2010, with the proceeds of all sales donated to Great Ormond Street Hospital. Between 2011 and 2013, a number of his photographs were displayed at the Royal Academy summer exhibition.
Because of his experience as a fine art photographer and his business skills, he was elected to the position of chairman of the board of Trustees of The Photographers' Gallery in London in November 2013; in order to help advance the Gallery's profile nationally and internationally. This followed a £9.2 million capital campaign and the launch of the gallery's new home.
He is also a Trustee of the International Center of Photography (New York; May 2011–present).
Mead received a B.A. degree from Harvard College in 1977, and a M.Phil. degree from Emmanuel College, Cambridge University, in 1979, where he was the Harvard Scholar.
Mead has been significantly involved with Harvard where he is an elected member of the Harvard Alumni Association and sits on the Global Advisory Council headed by President Drew Faust and a member of the Committee of University Resources. Previously he was a member of the Task Force on University Finance.
In 2008, he established the Scott Mead '77 Family Head Coach to support Harvard Men's Tennis team. That same year, Mead was part of a group of investors who bought the Boston Celtics. His commitments within the sports arena include serving on the Global Advisory Council of the Women's Tennis Association Tour (July 2004–present) and serving in a similar position with the ATP. Mead is Chairman of the Trustees of Queens Club (London).
Mead Family Foundation and selected boards
Mead is an active supporter of medical research, education, the arts and athletics through the Mead Family Foundation of which he is the Founder and chairman (1996–present). Within the arts, Mead serves as a member of the Executive Committee for the Tate Foundation (London; October 2006–present) and is a member of the Tate Photography Acquisitions Committee (London; 2009–Present).
Within education he is a Charter Trustee of Phillips Academy (Andover, Massachusetts; 2002–present) and Chairman of the Audit committee and Member of the Trustee Finance Committee overseeing an endowment of a substantial amount. Mead served as a member of the Advisory board of Judge Business School (Cambridge, UK; 2002–2013). He is a member of the board of Usher's New Look Foundation. and sits on the UK Advisory Board of Room to Read.
- Scott Mead, Fine Art Photographer
- Scott Mead to Exhibit Photographs at London's Hamilton Gallery In Aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity
- "Vodafone seals Mannesmann deal". BBC News. February 11, 2000.
- "Mannesmann: The mother of all takeovers". DW. February 3, 2010.
- "Schlussspurt ohne Scott Mead". Manager Magazin Online (in German). June 9, 2004.
- "Now they're targeting the silver-spoon brigade". The Telegraph. August 12, 2010.
- "Snap up banker's photos to help hospital". London Evening Standard. August 13, 2010.
- "Scott Mead being interviewed on the BBC's The Culture Show". July 18, 2012.
- "Scott Mead announced as new chairman of The Photographers' Gallery". The Photographers' Gallery. November 4, 2013.
- "International Center of Photography Board Elects New Trustees" (PDF). International Center of Photography.
- "Harvard announces Scott Mead '77 Family Head Coach for Men's Tennis". Harvard Gazette. September 18, 2008.
- "Not all investors are a basket case". The Telegraph. June 19, 2008.
- "Global Advisory Council". WTA.
- "Membership of the Tate Board's Councils and Committees". The Tate.
- "Charter Trustee: Scott Mead '73".
- "Mead mixes profits and philanthropy". E Financial News. March 28, 2011.
- "UK Advisory Board". Room to Read.