Scott Douglas Meyers is an American author and software consultant, specializing in the C++ computer programming language. He is known for his Effective C++ book series. He is a frequent speaker at conferences and trade shows. He holds a Ph.D. in computer science from Brown University and M.S. in computer science from Stanford University.
Meyers has expressed opposition to asking programmers to solve design or programming problems during job interviews, making him a minority in this camp:
"I hate anything that asks me to design on the spot. That's asking to demonstrate a skill rarely required on the job in a high-stress environment, where it is difficult for a candidate to accurately prove their abilities. I think it's fundamentally an unfair thing to request of a candidate."
Meyers conceived and, with Herb Sutter, Andrei Alexandrescu, Dan Saks, and Steve Dewhurst, co-organized and presented the boutique (limited-attendance) conference, The C++ Seminar, which took place three times in 2001-2002. In 2010, he conceived and, with Sutter and Alexandrescu, co-organized and presented another boutique conference, C++ and Beyond which was again organized in 2011, 2012, and 2013.
- 1992. Effective C++: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs. ISBN 0-201-56364-9
- 1995. More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs. ISBN 0-201-63371-X
- 1998. Effective C++, Second Edition: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs. ISBN 0-201-92488-9
- 2001. Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library. ISBN 0-201-74962-9
- 2005. Effective C++, Third Edition: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs. ISBN 0-321-33487-6
- 2010. Overview of The New C++ (C++11). Annotated training materials published by Artima Press. No ISBN.
- 2010. Effective C++ in an Embedded Environment. Annotated training materials published by Artima Press. No ISBN.
- Venners, Bill (16 December 2002). "Multiple Inheritance and Interfaces: A Conversation with Scott Meyers, Part I". Artima.
- "How to Interview a Programmer" from Artima Developer
- C++ and Beyond conference website
- "Dr. Dobb's 2009 Excellence in Programming Award"
- Prata, Stephen (2001-11-01). C++ Primer Plus. Sams Publishing. pp. 1029–. ISBN 9780672322235. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Allison, Chuck (May 01, 1999). "Review of Scott Meyers' Effective C++ Compact Disk". Dr Dobb's Journal. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Effective C++, Third Edition". Slashdot. June 7, 2005. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
|This biographical article relating to a technologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|