Scott Patterson (author)
|Scott Patterson website|
Scott Patterson is an American financial journalist and bestselling author. He is a staff reporter at The Wall Street Journal and author of Dark Pools: High-Speed Traders, A.I. Bandits, and the Threat to the Global Financial System and The New York Times bestselling book The Quants.
Patterson has as Master of Arts and English degree from James Madison University. Patterson is a staff reporter at The Wall Street Journal covering government regulation of the financial industry. His coverage has included high-profile interviews with Mark Cuban, Warren Buffett, Edward Thorp and others.
Patterson is an active critic of high-frequency trading, citing HFT as a major cause of market volatility and preferential treatment of select firms, yet acknowledging HFT role as market makers. He is a proponent of greater government oversight on the markets, pointing out that they cannot keep up with Wall Street innovation. He names this as a cause of decreased public confidence in the markets. Patterson attributes the Flash Crash to a combination of all these issues.
In 2010, Patterson wrote The Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It, a bestseller that was published by Crown Publishing. The book outlines computer-driven quantitative trading by following the lives of four "quants." These quants are highly educated whiz kids that created complex mathematical algorithms to exploit market inefficiencies.
Ultimately, the reliance on computer-driven trading was attributed to meltdowns such as Black Monday, the collapse of Long-Term Capital Management, and Great Credit Crackup. The history of quantitative trading is covered, including early quants such as Edward Thorp and how much of the early knowledge was applied from lessons learned at blackjack tables. The book also highlights interactions with people against quantitative trading including Nassim Nicholas Taleb, author of Black Swan.
On June 12, 2012 Patterson released Dark Pools: High-Speed Traders, A.I. Bandits, and the Threat to the Global Financial System. The book expands on The Quants to show how the rise algorithmic trading, artificial intelligence bots, and high-frequency trading have rigged the current stock market. Patterson also discusses how governmental agencies, like the SEC, cannot keep up with the rapid evolution of technology.
Patterson's debut book The Quants went on to become a New York Times Bestseller. Due to the success of the first book, Patterson began working on Dark Pools to expand on the issues covered in The Quants.
Patterson's style of writing has been compared to author Michael Lewis, due to his ability to relay complex financial topics in a way suitable for mass appeal. His journalism has been praised for its depth, particularly in cataloging the roots of current market technologies. Patterson’s work has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, CNBC, Forbes, CNN, Fortune magazine, Rolling Stone, Scientific American, and the Financial Times, among others.
- Cendrowski, Scott (June 22, 2012). "Reasons to fear Wall Street's high-tech traders". CNN Money.
- Coyne, Shawn (June 1, 2012). "The 500 Dark Pools". Steven Pressfield Online.
- Hurt, Harry. "In Practice, Stock Formulas Weren’t Perfect". New York Times.
- "Hardcover Business Best Sellers". New York Times. March 5, 2010.
- Pressley, James (February 18, 2010). "How Quants Made a Killing—and Made a Mess". BusinessWeek.
- Ritholtz, Barry (December 8, 2010). "A Conversation with Scott Patterson, The Quants". Ritholtz.
- "Author Bio: Scott Patterson". Amazon.
- Patterson, Scott (June 26, 2012). "Mark Cuban: High-Frequency Traders Are the Ultimate Hackers". Wall Street Journal.
- Patterson, Scott (December 14, 2009). "In Year of Investing Dangerously, Buffett Looked 'Into the Abyss'". WallStreet Journal.
- "'The Quants': It Pays To Know Your Wall Street Math". NPR. February 1, 2010.
- Patterson, Scott (June 27, 2012). "High-Frequency Trading Has Made Markets More Efficient — Larry Tabb". Wall Street Journal.
- Patterson, Scott (June 10, 2012). "Breakdown: A Glimpse Inside the 'Flash Crash'". Wall Street Journal.
- Patterson, Scott (April 9, 2012). "Trading Mysteries Extend Deeper Than Dark Pools". Wall Street Journal.
- Patterson, Scott (June 13, 2012). "Q & A: The Volcker Rule". Wall Street Journal.
- Erman, Boyd (July 9, 2012). "A critic sees some good in the high-frequency trader". Globe and Mail.
- Falkenstein, Eric (June 20, 2012). "DARK POOLS: Despite The Scary Title, This Is A Good History Of High Speed Trading". BusinessInsider.
- "Scott Patterson AMA". Reddit. July 6, 2012.
- Patterson, Scott (January 22, 2010). "The Minds Behind the Meltdown". Wall Street Journal.
- Patterson, Scott (September 22, 2011). "How Math Whizzes Helped Sink the Economy". Scientific American.
- Patterson, Scott (February 11, 2010). "Wall St maths geniuses whose models did not add up". Financial Times.
- Task, Aaron (February 11, 2010). "Rise of the Machines: How "Quant" Trading Triggered the Credit Crisis". Yahoo! Finance.
- Brown, Aaron (June 26, 2012). ""Dark Pools": An Exciting Thriller That Will Teach You About Trading". Minyanville.
- Carter, Jeff (July 9, 2012). "Dark Pools: High-Speed Traders, A.I. Bandits, and the Threat to the Global Financial System". Points and Figures.
- "Jon Stewart Interviews 'The Quants' Author: Did Physicists Bring Down Wall Street?". Huffington Post. May 5, 2010.
- Stewart, Jon (March 4, 2010). "Scott Patterson". The Daily Show.
- "High Speed Threats to Global Financial Systems". CNBC. June 12, 2012.
- "Taking The Market Out Of The Market". SeekingAlpha. June 22, 2012.
- Durden, Tyler (June 30, 2012). "The Dark (Pool) Truth About What Really Goes On In The Stock Market". ZeroHedge.
- Durden, Tyler (July 1, 2012). "The Dark (Pool) Truth About What Really Goes On In The Stock Market: Part 2". ZeroHedge.
- Durden, Tyler (July 2, 2012). "The Dark (Pool) Truth About What Really Goes On In The Stock Market: Part 3". ZeroHedge.
- Durden, Tyler (July 10, 2012). "The Dark (Pool) Truth About What Really Goes On In The Stock Market: Part 4". ZeroHedge.
- Covel, Michael (June 21, 2012). "Scott Patterson — Dark Pools: High-Speed Traders, A.I. Bandits, and the Threat to the Global Financial System". Michael Covel.
- Leinweber, David (July 11, 2012). "The Algorithmic Monsters Threatening The Global Financial System". Forbes.