Porter at Push premiere in January 2009
|Born||Matthew Scott Porter
July 14, 1979
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Kelsey Mayfield (m. 2013)|
Matthew Scott Porter (born July 14, 1979), better known as Scott Porter, is an American actor and occasional singer known for his role as Jason Street in the NBC television drama Friday Night Lights. His character was injured during a football game in the pilot episode and became disabled. The character was inspired by David Edwards, a high school football player.
Porter was paired with Alyson Michalka and Vanessa Hudgens in the 2009 film Bandslam. He performed the song "Pretend", which is featured in the Bandslam soundtrack. In 2010, he played the role of Blake, a law firm investigator, in CBS' legal drama The Good Wife.
Background and personal life
Porter was born in Omaha, Nebraska and attended Lake Howell High School in Winter Park, Florida. At Lake Howell, Porter was a wide receiver on the football team and graduated in 1997. While a student at the University of Central Florida, Porter sang vocal percussion in an a capella vocal group, 4:2:Five. Porter also worked as a baby-sitter and "didn't have time to party."
In April 2013, Porter married Kelsey Mayfield, whom he had met on set of Friday Night Lights. One of his groomsmen was screenwriter and director Jamie Linden, who was his schoolmate at Lake Howell.
Prior to joining the cast of Friday Night Lights, Porter played Matthew in the original cast of the Off-Broadway hit Altar Boyz in 2004. In 2006, he temporarily took over the role of Casey Hughes in the soap opera As the World Turns, a role originally performed by Zach Roerig. Porter also played the role of Colin Thompson, the more visible part of the duo that fronts the fictional band PoP!, in the movie Music and Lyrics (2007). Porter also played the character Rex in the film Speed Racer (2008), which was directed and written by the Wachowski brothers. He played Bobby in the remake of Prom Night and Ben Wheatly in Bandslam, released in August 2009. In the latter film, he co-starred alongside Aly Michalka, Gaelan Connell, Vanessa Hudgens, and Lisa Kudrow. In the same year, he was also paired with The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants star Alexis Bledel in the romantic comedy film The Good Guy, which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival.
Porter is a fan of comic books and has auditioned for several comic book hero roles. He is also purportedly a fan of HeroClix. Porter performed and sang the song "Someone to Fall Back On" in Bandslam, and his song "Pretend" was included in the soundtrack. He was part of his high school's choral department and was a founding member of the groups 4:2:Five and Mosaic. He eventually performed for Off Broadway with another A Cappella band named Toxic Audio.
In 2010, Porter joined the cast of CBS's legal drama The Good Wife as Blake, an investigator for a law firm. Also in 2010, Porter starred in the pilot of the television series Nomads, which was developed for The CW, but it was not picked up by the network. BuddyTV ranked him #10 on its "TV's 100 Sexiest Men of 2010" list and #34 in 2011.
|2007||Music and Lyrics||Colin Thompson|
|2008||Speed Racer||Rex Racer|
|Speed Racer: Wonderful World of Racing||Rex Racer||Short film|
|The Good Guy||Tommy Fielding|
|Hit Me||Keith||Short film|
|2013||The To Do List||Rusty|
|2006||As the World Turns||Casey Hughes||4 episodes|
|The Bedford Diaries||Jason Miller||2 episodes|
|Ugly Betty||Guy||Episode 1.01: "Pilot"|
|2006–2008, 2010||Friday Night Lights||Jason Street||Main Role (Seasons 1–3) / Special Guest Star (Season 5); 42 episodes|
|2009||Robot Chicken||Giant Man, Racer X, NASCAR President, Kimble||1 episode (voice only)|
|Master Work||Sean Fetters||Made-for-television film|
|2010||Caprica||Nestor Willow||Recurring; 8 episodes|
|2010–2011||The Good Wife||Blake Calamar||Recurring (Season 2); 14 episodes|
|2011||Marvel Anime: Wolverine||Scott Summers / Cyclops||1 episode
Voice: English dub
|Marvel Anime: X-Men||Scott Summers / Cyclops||12 episodes
Voice: English dub
|2011–present||Hart of Dixie||George Tucker||Lead Role|
|2011||X-Men: Destiny||Adrian||One of the game's protagonists|
|2013||Marvel Heroes||Cyclops||Playable character|
|2013-2014||The Walking Dead: Season Two||Luke||One of the main characters|
|2014||Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham||Aquaman, Superboy||Playable characters|
|Year||Single||USA Chart positions||Album|
|Oklahoma||Los Angeles||New York||New Jersey||Kansas||Washington|
- Boedeker, Hal (October 1, 2006). "Hometown bright light". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Duff-Hoppes, Jill (May 18, 2001). "`Completely Different': A Cappella Band Discovers Harmony In Natural Voices". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- Edwards, Jennifer (December 3, 1998). "Student Talent Shines At Fund-raiser". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
Called 4:2:Five, the five-member group is made up of Geoff Castellucci, Earl Elkins, Michael Kilgore and Layne Stein of Lake Howell High School and Scott Porter, a recent Lake Howell graduate who now attends the University of Central Florida.
- Rapkin, Mickey (October 3, 2008). "Cappella Dreaming: 10 Voices, One Shot". The New York Times. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
At the height of the 1990s boy-band boom, an a cappella group called 4:2:Five (featuring a young Scott Porter of NBC’s Friday Night Lights) met with Sony, but when the executives suggested adding backing tracks and choreography, the members walked.
- "Scott Porter on Not Partying in College, His Advice to Aspiring Actors". StarCam.com. April 10, 2012. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- "Scott Porter Marries Kelsey Mayfield". People. April 23, 2013.
- Stacy Dodd (June 3, 2007). Scott Porter. Variety. Accessed 2010-04-23.
- "The Good Guy (2009)". IMDb. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Bio at IMDb
- "Scott Porter's account info on a Heroclix player's website". Hcrealms.com. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Miss Tv Girl: Scott Porter Joins "The Good Wife"". Misstvgirl.blogspot.com. 2010-09-21. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 1, 2010). "Several Pilots Remain In Contention With Cast Options Extensions; Pickup Decision On CW's 'HMS' Expected Next Week". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 29, 2011.
- "TV's 100 Sexiest Men of 2010". BuddyTV. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "TV's 100 Sexiest Men of 2011". BuddyTV. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Marvel Heroes - Developer Diary: Voices". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- Scott Porter at the Internet Movie Database
- Video Feature: In Rehearsal: Altar Boyz at Broadway.com
- Video Feature: Opening Night: Altar Boyz at Broadway.com
- Scott Porter Marriage
- Scott Porter at NBC