|New York Mets – No. 56|
September 21, 1981 |
Simi Valley, California
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 1, 2013 for the New York Mets|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||3.71|
Scott Adam Rice (born September 21, 1981) is an American professional baseball player. A pitcher, Rice plays for the New York Mets of Major League Baseball (MLB). A first-round draft pick in the 1999 MLB Draft, his career was slowed by injuries. He pitched in minor league baseball for 14 seasons before his first promotion to MLB in 2013. He made his MLB debut on April 1, 2013.
Rice attended Royal High School in Simi Valley, California. He played for the high school baseball team as a pitcher. The Baltimore Orioles drafted Rice in the first round, with the 44th overall selection, of the 1999 Major League Baseball Draft. He played in minor league baseball for the Orioles organization through 2005, reaching Class AA, then signed with the Texas Rangers in 2006, reaching Class AAA. He made only eight appearances in 2007 due to injury, and had surgery on his flexor tendon in 2008.
Rice returned to baseball pitching in independent leagues, playing for the Long Island Ducks in 2008 and the Newark Bears in 2009. He then pitched in the Colorado Rockies organization in 2010 and for the Chicago Cubs in spring training in 2011, but was released.
Rice joined the York Revolution of the Atlantic League in 2011. During the season, the Los Angeles Dodgers signed Rice and assigned him to their Class AA minor league team. The Dodgers invited Rice to spring training in 2012, but he did not make the team, and was instead assigned to pitch for the Albuquerque Isotopes of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League.
New York Mets
Invited to spring training by the New York Mets in 2013, Rice made the Mets' Opening Day roster, the first time he was named to an MLB roster after 480 appearances in 14 minor league seasons. He made his MLB debut on April 1, 2013, striking out Nick Hundley and Cameron Maybin and retiring Will Venable on a ground out in one inning of work.
- DOMINGUEZ, FERNANDO (May 29, 1999). "Prospects Eager to Sprint for the Bucks - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Fully recovered, Revs' Rice putting up numbers - The York Daily Record". Ydr.com. May 28, 2011. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "After 14 years in the minors, NY Mets pitcher Scott Rice finally hits it big". NY Daily News. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Royal High graduate Scott Rice makes Mets' opening-day roster » Ventura County Star". Vcstar.com. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Revs lose Scott Rice to Dodgers organization - The York Daily Record". Ydr.com. March 26, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- New Jersey (November 1, 2011). "Mets' Scott Rice realizes dream after 14 seasons in the minors". NJ.com. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "NY Mets pitcher Scott Rice finally lives dream of pitching in MLB game on Opening Day". NY Daily News. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)