Scott Robinson (singer)
|Birth name||Scott James Timothy Robinson|
|Born||22 November 1979|
|Genres||Pop, rap rock, funk, hip hop|
Robinson lived in Pitsea and has two sisters, Nicola and Hayley. He attended Chalvedon Comprehensive School in Pitsea, Essex until the third year, year 9, when he left to move full-time to the Sylvia Young Theatre School.
He enjoyed initial acting success with small parts in Casualty, Hale and Pace and The Bill Template:Eastenders. Scott also performed on stage in London's West End & the Edinburgh Festival with Ron Moody in Peter Pan and in the National Youth Music Theatre Production of Whistle Down the Wind before turning his attention to music with Five.
In 1997, Robinson auditioned for Five, a new boy band-style group with "attitude and edge". Robinson was eventually selected to be part of the band along with Richard "Abs" Breen (now Abz Love), Ritchie Neville, Sean Conlon and Jason "J" Brown. Five subsequently were signed by Simon Cowell and BMG/RCA for a six-album deal. Five went on to enjoy massive success worldwide, selling over 20 million records in their four years together. Five split up on 27 September 2001, as Conlon had left the band, Neville had hurt himself on stage and Robinson's fiancee Kerry Oaken was having trouble with her pregnancy.
Since the split of Five, Robinson has worked in radio and television, and was one of the leads in the UK regional touring musical, Boogie Nights 2. Robinson also joined his friend Chris Brooks at local Essex radio station, Essex FM, in 2002 for a few months as a radio DJ. He starred in the UK regional theatre musical Boogie Nights 2 from late 2004 through most of 2005. He was a regular on Soccer AM at the beginning of the 2012-13 season, presenting the "Scott from Five Awards".
As of 26 October 2008, Robinson appeared in Celebrity Scissorhands which coincides with the BBC charity Children in Need. He got into the final on 9/11/2008 after the contestants made an anonymous vote. He also appeared on an episode of Test the Nation in the Robinsons group.
Unsuccessful first reunion and one-off appearances
On 17 September 2006, an announcement was made via Five's official Myspace page that a press conference was to be held at The Scala in central London on 27 September. After a venue change due to a shooting at The Scala, the conference was moved to the Bar Academy Islington. It was rumoured that four of the five members would be reuniting (Conlon now being committed to his Sony deal), and this was confirmed at the press conference. Five recorded new material for what was to be their fourth studio album, working with Guy Chambers, Swedish producer/songwriter Anders Bagge, and French DJs Trak Invaders. They also planned to tour in 2007. By January 2007, Five had completed half of their album and were looking to be signed to a record label with new manager, Richard Beck. The album was expected to be released within the next few months. On 8 March 2007, at midnight, Five premiered one-minute clips of three brand new songs that were to have been on the new album. The songs, titled "70 Days", "Settle Down" and "It's All Good" can be heard on the band's official webpage and also on their Myspace page. Beck also secured an MTV documentary series titled Five - The Revive.
On 19 May 2007, only eight months after reforming, having failed to secure a lucrative enough record deal, Five announced via their website that the group would no longer be pursuing a comeback. Between 2010 and 2012, Robinson and Love did a small tour performing music from their catalogue. They were the only members of the band who continued to make appearances performing songs from Five's back-catalogue.
After Robinson's ex-bandmate Conlon appeared on The Voice UK on 24 March 2012 and failed to make it past the audition stage, Conlon reunited with his former bandmates to discuss the possibility of a second comeback.
On 19 April 2012, Brown wrote a post on Five fansite Warrington Warrior, saying that he had decided not to be a part of the reunion, and that he would like the fansite to be shut down, claiming that he no longer wants to be in the public eye, as he felt it was an intrusion to his private life. Conlon, Neville, Love and Robinson confirmed the next day on Twitter that the post was indeed from Brown, and that they had received a letter with similar content from him. They apologised and gave a statement that Brown's personal opinion in no way represents Five as a band. The forum thread containing Brown's message has since been deleted, as per Robinson's and their manager's request. The other members then stated that they would continue as a four-piece, with plans for a new tour and new material.
On 17 October 2012, Robinson revealed via Twitter that Five had would be taking part in an ITV2 series called The Big Reunion at some point in 2013. The show also features the reunion of Atomic Kitten, Liberty X, B*Witched, 911 and Honeyz. The show will start airing on 31 January 2013.
On 11 July 2001, Robinson's fiancee Kerry Oaker gave birth five weeks early to their first son, Brennan Rhys Robinson. On 28 September 2001, the day after Five split up, Robinson and Oaker got married, with all Robinson's bandmates in attendance. Robinson became a father for a second time, with the birth of his second son, Kavan Reeve Robinson, on 13 September 2006. The family currently live in Pitsea, Essex. On 8 September 2013, it was announced that Robinson and Oaker were expecting twins in January 2014.
- Scott Robinson - Scott 5 Award [8th Sept 2012 Soccer AM] - YouTube
- "Official Myspace Page, September 2006". Major Announcement on 27/09/2006. Retrieved 17 September 2006.
- "The Sun.co.uk". Five are back... as Four. Retrieved 23 September 2006.
- "MTV.co.uk". 5ive: "we're gay". Retrieved 29 September 2006.
- "Official Myspace profile". Message from Five. Retrieved 26 January 2007.
- "Five dan site". Five no more. Retrieved 20 May 2007.
- "Whatever Happened To... Five?". This Must Be Pop. 23 January 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "The Vg star Sean Conlon's comeback ends early on new show". Metro.co.uk. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "5ive Sean Conlon has another shot at fame after The Voice boot". The Sun. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Warrington Warrior - News". Warringtonwarrior.com. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- By Eleanor (30 March 2012). "Sean Conlon plans 5ive reunion after The Voice rejection". Uk.omg.yahoo.com. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- Twitter / Scottlarock5: I can confirm that five we'll take part in the big reunion on @itv2 Sometime next year We are all Looking forward to the show #willbegreat
- Kerry Katona and Atomic Kitten pals reunite | The Sun |Showbiz|TV
- "Atomic Kitten get mew start". The Sun. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Boy band 5ive hunting for new member". MSN. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "5ive post plea for fifth member on Facebook ahead of reunion 12 years after parting ways". Metro News. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Official Website, September 200". Birth of second son. Retrieved 17 September 2006.
- Rigler, Natasha (8 September 2013). "5ive's Scott Robinson and wife Kerry expecting twins!". Reveal magazine (Nat Mags). Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Twitter / Scottlarock5: I was lucky enough to have a ticket for Arsenal West ham tonight great win for Arsenal and none of our players kicked a ball boy @Arsenal