January 24, 1956 |
University of Southern California
|Alma mater||Brown University
University of Chicago
|Thesis||Scaling behavior in a map of a circle onto itself: Empirical results (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||Leo Kadanoff|
Scott J. Shenker (born January 24, 1956 in Alexandria, Virginia) is an American computer scientist, and professor of computer science at UC Berkeley. He is also the leader of the Initiatives Group and the Chief Scientist of the International Computer Science Institute in Berkeley, California. Shenker is an ISI Highly Cited researcher, and according to Google Scholar he is one of the five highest ranked American computer scientists.
Shenker received his Sc.B. in Physics from Brown University in 1978, and his PhD in Physics from University of Chicago in 1983. In 2007, he received an honorary doctorate from the same university.
After working as a postdoctoral associate at Cornell University, he joined the research staff at XEROX Parc. He left PARC in 1998 to help found the AT&T Center for Internet Research, which was later renamed the ICSI Center for Internet Research (ICIR).
In 2002, Scott Shenker received the SIGCOMM Award in recognition of his "contributions to Internet design and architecture, to fostering research collaboration, and as a role model for commitment and intellectual rigor in networking research".
He is a Fellow of the ACM and IEEE and a member of the National Academy of Engineering. He is ranked the top cited author in computer science by Microsoft Academic Search. He is brother of string theorist Stephen Shenker.
- Demers, Alan, Srinivasan Keshav, and Scott Shenker. "Analysis and simulation of a fair queueing algorithm." ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. Vol. 19. No. 4. ACM, 1989.
- Zhang, Lixia, et al. "RSVP: A new resource reservation protocol." Network, IEEE 7.5 (1993): 8-18.
- Shenker, Scott. Integrated Service in the Internet Architecture. dspace.mit.edu, 1994.
- Breslau, Lee, et al. "Web caching and Zipf-like distributions: Evidence and implications." INFOCOM'99. Eighteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies. Proceedings. IEEE. Vol. 1. IEEE, 1999.
- Ratnasamy, Sylvia, et al. A scalable content-addressable network. Vol. 31. No. 4. ACM, 2001.
- Lv, Qin, et al. "Search and replication in unstructured peer-to-peer networks." Proceedings of the 16th international conference on Supercomputing. ACM, 2002.
- Scott Shenker at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Scott Shenker's Berkeley Homepage". Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- See H-index for computer science
- "Scott Shenker's Biography at ICSI". Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "Honorary Degrees 2000-2009". University of Chicago. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Scott Shenker Selected to Serve as First Chief Scientist of ICSI". Market Watch. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- Yao, F.; Demers, A.; S., Shenker (1995), "A scheduling model for reduced CPU energy", Proc. 36th IEEE Symp. Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 374–382, doi:10.1109/SFCS.1995.492493, ISBN 0-8186-7183-1
- "SIGCOMM Award Recipients". ACM SIGCOMM. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "IEEE Internet Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "National Academy of Engineering Elects 66 Members and 10 Foreign Associates". National Academies. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Top Authors in Computer Science". Microsoft Academic Search. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Board and Officers - Scott Shenker Bio". Open Networking Foundation. Retrieved 2012-08-10.