Thorman with the Braves in June 2007
January 6, 1982 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|June 18, 2006 for the Atlanta Braves|
(through 2008 season)
|Runs batted in||50|
Scott Robert Thorman (born January 6, 1982 in Cambridge, Ontario) is a professional baseball first baseman who plays for the Brantford Red Sox in the Intercounty Baseball League. Thorman was drafted in the first round, 30th overall in the 2000 Major League Baseball Draft by the Atlanta Braves. Thorman played for Canada in the inaugural 2006 World Baseball Classic and Thorman also played in the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
Thorman steadily rose through the Braves organization, finishing the 2005 season with their Triple-A team, the Richmond Braves. Thorman made his major league debut on June 18, 2006. Thorman's first major league hit was an RBI single against Scott Downs of the Toronto Blue Jays on June 20, 2006.
Thorman earned his first multi-home run game on May 12, 2007 in a 9–2 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates. On September 22, Thorman hit a pinch-hit game-tying homer with 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th inning against the Milwaukee Brewers. The Braves went on to win the game an inning later.
The Braves sent Thorman outright to the minors on March 28, 2008. Thorman became a free agent at the end of the season.
In December, 2008 Thorman was signed to a minor league contract with the Milwaukee Brewers and Thorman received an invitation to Spring Training. Thorman was released by the Brewers on April 4, 2009 after the Brewers acquired first baseman Joe Koshansky.
On April 7, 2009, Thorman signed a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers. Thorman was released on April 27. Thorman hit .188 with one home run and four RBIs in 11 games with the Triple-A Oklahoma RedHawks before Thorman's release.
Kansas City Royals
Thorman signed a minor league contract with the Kansas City Royals on May 21, 2009. Thorman hit .297 with 19 home runs and 63 RBIs in 97 games with the Triple-A Omaha Royals. On December 11, 2009 Thorman was re-signed by the Royals with an invitation to spring training.
- McCalvy, Adam. "Brewers ink Thorman to Minors deal." Major League Baseball. 1 December 2008. Retrieved on 1 December 2008.
- Adam McCalvy (April 4, 2009). "Brewers assign Gwynn Jr. to Triple-A". Major League Baseball. mlb.com. Retrieved 2009-12-12.
- Bob Dutton (October 14, 2009). "Royals notebook: Three minor-league players retained". kansascity.com. Retrieved 2009-12-12.[dead link]
- Dick Kaegel (December 11, 2009). "Chen headlines crop of Spring invitees". Major League Baseball. mlb.com. Retrieved 2009-12-12.
- Jeff Hicks (July 4, 2009). "Scott Thorman braves a season in the minors". news.therecord.com. Retrieved 2009-12-12.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)