Scott Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
|CDP and Township|
Location within Allegheny County
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10.3 km2)|
|• Density||4,300/sq mi (1,700/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP Codes||15106, 15220, 15243|
Scott Township is located at .(40.391469, -80.079657)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10.3 km²), all of it land.
Scott Township is bordered by the Pittsburgh neighborhood of East Carnegie and the borough of Green Tree to the north, the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Banksville to the northeast, the municipality of Mt. Lebanon to the east, Upper St. Clair Township to the south, the borough of Bridgeville to the southwest, Collier Township and the borough of Heidelberg to the west, and the boroughs of Carnegie and Rosslyn Farms to the northwest.
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,288 people, 7,835 households, and 4,583 families residing in the township. The population density was 4,350.8 people per square mile (1,681.3/km²). There were 8,163 housing units at an average density of 2,054.3/sq mi (793.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 91.35% White, 1.15% Black or African American, 0.08% Native American, 6.17% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 1.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.68% of the population.
There were 7,835 households out of which 22.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.3% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.5% were non-families. 36.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the township the population was spread out with 18.6% under the age of 18, 5.2% from 18 to 24, 31.6% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 22.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 88.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,434, and the median income for a family was $54,716. Males had a median income of $42,095 versus $31,499 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,439. About 4.5% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 8.6% of those age 65 or over.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
Residents living in the township pay 1% earned income tax. This is one of the lowest rates in the surrounding area. Pittsburgh is currently at 3%. Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair are currently at 1.3%.
Real Estate Taxes are also fairly low when compared with surrounding areas.
2012 Millage Rates:
County: 5.6900, Municipality: 5.0000, School District: 19.8800
Scott Township is served by the Chartiers Valley School District.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population of Civil Divisions Less than Counties". 1880 United States Census. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Population-Pennsylvania". U.S. Census 1910. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Number and Distribution of Inhabitants:Pennsylvania-Tennessee". Fifteenth Census. U.S. Census Bureau.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Pennsylvania". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Pennsylvania: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 November 2013.