|Member of the
San Francisco Board of Supervisors
from District 8
January 8, 2011
|Preceded by||Bevan Dufty|
May 11, 1970 |
|Residence||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||Duke University
Harvard Law School
|Website||Supervisor Scott Wiener|
Scott Wiener (born May 11, 1970) is a Democratic Party politician currently serving on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors representing District 8. Wiener serves as chair of the Board of Supervisors Land Use and Economic Development Committee, and as a member of the Budget and Finance Committee. He also serves as vice chair of the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, represents San Francisco as a commissioner on the regional Metropolitan Transportation Commission and represents San Francisco as a director on the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District Board.
Early life and career
Wiener was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and grew up in southern New Jersey, the son of small business owners. He graduated from Washington Township High School, received his bachelor's degree from Duke University, studied in Santiago, Chile, on a Fulbright Scholarship, and received his law degree from Harvard Law School. He clerked for Justice Alan B. Handler on the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
In 1997, Wiener moved to San Francisco to work as a litigation attorney at Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe. In 2002, he went to work as a deputy city attorney under San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera.
Before running for the Board of Supervisors, Wiener served as chair of the San Francisco Democratic County Central Committee. Issues he has worked on since being elected include working with David Campos to support ensuring low-cost access to Truvada for pre-exposure prophylaxis against HIV; he has announced that he himself takes the drug for this purpose.
- Knight, Heather (December 30, 2010). "Scott Wiener's persistence pays off in District 8". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Bajko, Matthew S. (August 13, 2009). "Political Notebook: Spanjian tries to break gender barrier in D8 supervisor race". Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "Scott Wiener, District 8, Castro - San Francisco Supervisor Candidate Profile". San Francisco Chronicle.[dead link]
- Knight, Heather (December 30, 2010). "Scott Wiener's persistence pays off in District 8". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- Joshua Sabatini (December 27, 2010). "Scott Wiener no stranger to city politics". The San Francisco Examiner.
- "Chiu names Farrell as budget chair, Wiener as head of land use," Marisa Lagos, City Insider, 12 January 2011.
- Barro, Josh (September 17, 2014). "San Francisco Official Says He Takes Truvada to Prevent H.I.V., and More Gay Men Should, Too" (The Upshot blog). The New York Times.