|Headquarters||Ketchum, Idaho, U.S.|
Scottevest designs and manufactures a full line of clothing with a conduit system, specialized pockets and compartments, to manage and control wires of electronic devices. In 2003, Scottevest moved its headquarters from Chicago, Illinois to Ketchum, Idaho.
Origins and history
Scottevest was founded in 2000 by Scott Jordan in Chicago, Illinois. The company takes its name from its founder's first name together with its first product, known as the eVest, described as "a techie version of the classic fisherman's vest".
Scottevest makes vests, jackets, fleece jackets, pullovers, hoodies, pants, boxers, hats and more which incorporate specialized pockets and wire management features. One product integrated solar panels into the jacket.
Scottevest and TEC In The Media
On March 1, 2012, Scott Jordan appeared on Episode 307 of the ABC Show, Shark Tank. After a bit of verbal sparring between Jordan and the Sharks, particularly Mark Cuban (who raised fears that wireless technology could eventually make the patented eVest technology obsolete), Jordan rejected the Sharks' offers for up to $1M in funding over a reluctance to include the retail side of the business in any deal, which all of the Sharks insisted was a more lucrative and lower-risk investment. Despite not getting funding, the appearance heightened awareness of the product and is viewed by Jordan as a successful pitch.
In 2002 Scottevest was threatened with a lawsuit by IBM over the use of a cursive lower case "e" in Scottevest's logo (originally spelled "Scott eVest")., but the issue was dropped after a small change in the font.
In 2004, Scott USA of Sun Valley, Idaho sued Scottevest for trademark violations, alleging that Scottevest violated company trademark by using the word "Scott" in its brand name. Jordan always insisted any similaries were purely coincidental and Scottevest never tried to gain advantage through the Scott USA brand. The case was settled, with Scottevest agreeing to concatenate and capitalize its brand name (Scottevest instead of Scott eVest).
- Ed. Toddi Gutner, "Footnotes: Fashion", Business Week Online, March 8, 2004
- Idaho Mountain Express article
- "Fresh Gear: Scott eVEST", Businessweek.com, November 12, 2001
- Fabrizio Pilato, "Scott eVEST Version 2.0" Mobile Magazine, January 24, 2002
- ScotteVest Gadget Garb Premiers
- Scott Jordan Signature System: How Geek Can Meet Chic
- US News and World Report article about SeV Solar Jackets
- "Episode 307 - Shark Tank"
- Chicago Business article about IBM vs. Scottevest, Inc.(subscription required)
- Idaho Mountain Express story about Scott USA vs. Scottevest
- "Suit setted"