Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
The Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) is a body of the Scottish Parliament responsible for the administration of the Parliament. It also has a role in provision of services to Commissioners and other statutory appointments made by the Parliament.
The SPCB is established by section 21 of, and Schedule 2 to, the Scotland Act 1998. The SPCB ensures that the parliament has the property, staff and resources it requires in order to operate. The corporate body administers the resources of the parliament as well as the budget of the parliament. It also considers the use of parliamentary facilities and is responsible for the staffing and security of the parliament.
The current members of the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body are:
- Tricia Marwick MSP - the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament
- Linda Fabiani MSP, SNP
- Liam McArthur MSP, Liberal Democrat
- Mary Scanlon MSP, Conservative
- David Stewart MSP, Labour
- David Steel, 1999 - 2003 (former Presiding Officer)
- Des McNulty, until 2001
- John Young, until 2003
- Robert Brown, until 2005
- Andrew Welsh, until 2006
- Duncan McNeil, 2001–2007
- George Reid 2003 - 2007 (former Presiding Officer)
- John Scott, 2003–2007
- Nora Radcliffe, 2005–2007
- Kenny MacAskill, 2006–2007
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
The Scottish Parliament is responsible for the appointment of several statutory positions for Commissioners and senior public appointments. The Parliament nominates individuals to the monarch, who formally appoints them to a post.
This includes the following posts:
- The Auditor General for Scotland
- The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
- The Scottish Information Commissioner
- Scotland's Commissioner for Children and Young People
- The Scottish Human Rights Commission (chair elected by the Parliament, Commissioners appopinted by SPCB)
- The Commissioner for Public Appointments in Scotland.
The SPCB provides the budget for each of the above with the exception of the Auditor General.
The SPCB is responsible for nominating the following posts to Parliament:
- Member of the Scottish Parliament
- Scottish Parliament Building
- Scotland Act 1998
- House of Commons Commission, a comparable committee of the British House of Commons
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007)|