Scouting in North Dakota
|Scouting in North Dakota|
BSA Councils serving North Dakota
Map of Girl Scout Council in North Dakota, South Dakota, and part of Minnesota
Scouting in North Dakota has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
Early history (1910-1950)
In 1920 the Red River Valley Council (#429) was founded. In 1920 the Fargo Council was founded. It merged into Red River Valley Council (#429) in 1925. In 1923 the Park Region Area Council (#294) was founded. It merged into Red River Valley Council (#429) in 1929.
In 1924 the Williston Council was founded. The council folded in 1925.
Recent history (1950-1990)
Boy Scouts in North Dakota was organized into 4 councils from 1925 until 1974. The four Councils (and their headquarters) were:
- Red River Valley Council (#429) - Founded in 1925 and headquartered in Fargo; covering EC & SE ND and NW MN
- Lake Aggasiz Council (#430) - Founded in 1933 and headquartered in Grand Forks; covering NE ND and NW MN
- Missouri Valley Council (#432) - Founded in 1929 and headquartered in Bismarck; covering Bismarck/Mandan area
- Great Plains Area Council (#431) - Founded in 1929 and headquartered in Minot; covering Western ND and NE MT
In 1974 the four Councils merged into a single council, Northern Lights Council (#429).
Scouting in North Dakota today
Northern Lights Council
All of North Dakota is in the Northern Lights Council (NLC), formed in 1974 when several councils (Red River Valley Council - Fargo, Lake Agassiz Council - Grand Forks, Missouri Valley Council - Bismarck, and Great Plains Council - Dickinson) were merged into one.
As of 2006, Northern Lights Council serves all of North Dakota, and parts of South Dakota, northwestern Minnesota and northeast Montana.
Girl Scouting in North Dakota
There are two Girl Scout district offices in North Dakota in Fargo and Bismark and two field offices in Minot and Grand Forks.
Girl Scout camps in North Dakota are:
- Camp Owettii, Minot, ND
- Camp Sakakawea, Pick City, ND
- Camp Ocankasa, Mandan, ND
- Camp Neche, Bismarck, ND
- Camp Tonweya, Valley City, ND
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scouting in North Dakota.|
- Hook, James; Franck, Dave; Austin, Steve (1982). An Aid to Collecting Selected Council Shoulder Patches with Valuation.