|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015)|
|Origin||New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, indie rock, alternative rock|
|Labels||Don Giovanni Records|
Screaming Females are an American independent rock band, often labeled as a punk rock band, from New Brunswick, New Jersey. They have released five full length albums. The band features Marissa Paternoster on guitar and vocals, Jarrett Dougherty on drums, and King Mike on bass. They have been described as "one of the best rock bands on the face of the earth".
Mike and Marissa formed a band in high school under the name Surgery On TV. After several lineup changes they finally decided on the trio and a name change to Screaming Females. The Screaming Females got their start in the basement show scene of New Brunswick, NJ. Shows are held in the houses of various bands, students, and residents, so people under 21 can attend. The band has gone on to achieve success with a wider exposure, having been featured on NPR, Last Call with Carson Daly, and MTV. Screaming Females have played with bands such as Garbage, Throwing Muses, Dinosaur Jr., The Dead Weather, Arctic Monkeys, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, JEFF the Brotherhood, Little Lungs, Cheeky, The Ergs, Shellshag, The Measure.
In 2012 Marissa Paternoster was named the 77th greatest guitarist of all time by Spin magazine.
With their fifth studio album Ugly the Screaming Females collaborated with noted audio engineer Steve Albini. The album received across the board favorable reviews from media outlets including The A.V. Club, Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Pitchfork Media, Alternative Press and CMJ.
In February 2013, Screaming Females released the self produced EP Chalk Tape for streaming online. The EP was also sold as a limited run cassette tape as well as in a digital download format. According to the band's website Chalk Tape is a departure from their typical songwriting process. In writing Chalk Tape the band laid out their plans on a chalk board beforehand and then recorded the songs with no rewrites.
In late 2014 the band announced their latest forthcoming album Rose Mountain. The album, their sixth, is being produced by Matt Bayles and is scheduled to be released by Don Giovanni Records on February 24, 2015.
|2006||Baby Teeth||Self-released / Don Giovanni Records (reissued 2009)|
|2007||What if Someone is Watching Their T.V.?||Self-released / Don Giovanni Records (reissued 2009)|
|2009||Power Move||Don Giovanni Records|
|2010||Castle Talk||Don Giovanni Records|
|2012||Ugly||Don Giovanni Records|
|2015||Rose Mountain||Don Giovanni Records|
|2014||Live at the Hideout||Don Giovanni Records|
|2006||"Arm Over Arm/Zoo of Death"||Self-released||7"|
|2008||"Screaming Females/Hunchback Neil Young Tribute - Split"||Freedom School Records||7"|
|2008||"Screaming Females/Full of Fancy - Split"||Let's Pretend Records||7"|
|2009||"Screaming Females/JEFF the Brotherhood"||Infinity Cat Records||7"|
|2013||"Screaming Females/Garbage (band) - Because The Night"||Stunvolume Records||10"|
|2013||"Screaming Females/Swearin'/Upset/Waxahatchee Guided By Voices Tribute"||Salinas Records||7"|
|2013||"Screaming Females/Tenement"||Recess Records||7"|
|2010||Singles||Don Giovanni Records|
|2013||Chalk Tape||Don Giovanni Records|
- Breihan, Tom (8 January 2015). "Screaming Females – "Criminal Image"". Stereogum. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Rose, Joel (25 October 2010). "Screaming Females: DIY In New Brunswick". Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Last Call with Carson Daly". 27 April 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "It's On with Alexa Chung". 20 August 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Garbage and Screaming Females Cover Patti Smith's "Because the Night"". 12 October 2012. Retrieved 11 Jan 2013.
- "Bio on Last.fm". Retrieved 11 Jan 2013.
- "SPIN's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". SPIN magazine. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Screaming Females Announce 'Ugly' LP, Are Not Going to Talk About Steve Albini". 18 January 2012. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Metacritic Ugly - Screaming Females". Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "New EP and New Song, Screaming Females Blog". Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Waxahatchee to Tour With Screaming Females". Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Minsker, Evan (12 November 2014). "Screaming Females Announce Rose Mountain, Share "Ripe"". Pitchfork. Pitchfork Media Inc. Retrieved 9 January 2015.