Marissa Paternoster (left) and King Mike (right), live in Oslo, Norway, 11 August 2012.
|Origin||New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States|
|Labels||Don Giovanni Records|
Screaming Females is an independent rock band, often labeled as a punk rock band, from New Brunswick, New Jersey. They have released five full length albums, entitled Baby Teeth, What If Someone Is Watching Their T.V.?, Power Move, Castle Talk, and Ugly. The band features Marissa Paternoster on guitar and vocals, Jarrett Dougherty on drums, and King Mike on bass. They tour extensively, in the United States and internationally, playing an estimated 150 show per year in venues ranging from large festivals to intimate house shows.
Mike and Marissa formed a band in high school under the name Surgery On TV. After several lineup changes they finally decided on the trio and a name change to Screaming Females. The Screaming Females got their start in the basement show scene of New Brunswick, NJ . Shows are held in the houses of various bands, students, and residents, so people under 21 can attend. The band has gone on to achieve success with a wider exposure, having been featured on NPR, Last Call with Carson Daly, and MTV. The Screaming Females have played with bands such as Garbage, Throwing Muses, Dinosaur Jr., The Dead Weather, Arctic Monkeys, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, JEFF the Brotherhood, Little Lungs, Cheeky, The Ergs, Shellshag, The Measure.
With their fifth studio album Ugly the Screaming Females collaborated with noted audio engineer Steve Albini. The album received across the board favorable reviews from media outlets, such as, The A.V. Club, Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Pitchfork Media, Alternative Press, CMJ, and others.
Chalk Tape 
In February 2013 the Screaming Females released the self produced EP Chalk Tape for streaming online. The EP was also sold as a limited run cassette tape as well as in a digital download format. According to the band's website Chalk Tape is a departure from their typical songwriting process. In writing Chalk Tape the band laid out their plans on a chalk board before hand and then recorded the songs with no rewrites.
Band members 
Studio albums 
|2006||Baby Teeth||Self-released / Don Giovanni Records (reissued 2009)|
|2007||What if Someone is Watching Their T.V.?||Self-released / Don Giovanni Records (reissued 2009)|
|2009||Power Move||Don Giovanni Records|
|2010||Castle Talk||Don Giovanni Records|
|2012||Ugly||Don Giovanni Records|
|2006||"Arm Over Arm/Zoo of Death"||Self-released||7"|
|2008||"Screaming Females/Hunchback Neil Young Tribute - Split"||Freedom School Records||7"|
|2008||"Screaming Females/Full of Fancy - Split"||Let's Pretend Records||7"|
|2009||"Screaming Females/JEFF the Brotherhood"||Infinity Cat Records||7"|
|2010||Singles||Don Giovanni Records|
|2013||Chalk Tape||Don Giovanni Records|
- Rose, Joel (25 October 2010). "Screaming Females: DIY In New Brunswick". Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Last Call with Carson Daly". 27 April 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "It's On with Alexa Chung". 20 August 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Garbage and Screaming Females Cover Patti Smith's "Because the Night"". 12 October 2012. Retrieved 11 Jan 2013.
- "Bio on Last.fm". Retrieved 11 Jan 2013.
- "Screaming Females Announce 'Ugly' LP, Are Not Going to Talk About Steve Albini". 18 January 2012. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Metacritic Ugly - Screaming Females". Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "New EP and New Song, Screaming Females Blog". Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- Screaming Females Homepage
- Screaming Females Licensing
- Screaming Females Interview on VillageVoice.com
- Screaming Females Interview on TheWaster.com
- Interview on RollingStone.com
- The Session Tape: Screaming Females LIVE
- Screaming Females: Tiny Desk Concert (NPR)
|This article on a United States punk rock band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|