Current logo (2011-present)
|Genre||Video game reviews and entertainment|
|Founded||February 15, 2006|
|Headquarters||Flower Mound, Texas, United States|
ScrewAttack Entertainment LLC, is a company that creates video game entertainment, including original content, on their website. ScrewAttack.com launched February 15, 2006.
The site features various original content as well as a variety of third party content from partners. The name and logo is derived from a spinning jump attack of the same name in the Metroid video game series.
ScrewAttack was created in 2006 by Craig Skistimas and Thomas Hanley. The first show featured on the site was an audio podcast called SideScrollers. Viacom Media Networks acquired rights to some of ScrewAttack’s programming (Top 10's, Video Game Vault and the Angry Video Game Nerd) adding it to their GameTrailers service. Since working with GameTrailers, ScrewAttack's features have been downloaded over 245 million times from 2007 to 2009. Overall ScrewAttack's content has been viewed over 1 Billion times through its website and various syndication partners including YouTube, GameTrailers, IGN, Revision 3 and EscapistMagazine.
In September 2011, ScrewAttack.com launched its new version, "The New ScrewAttack", which features several overhauled interfaces and designs to the website. Another website version, "Phase 2" was officially launched on May 22, 2012. Some of the new features of Phase 2 include the ability to customize profiles and the ability to "subscribe" to other members. Also included is the ability to create shows by uploading videos from the user's preferred video player. On the new profile is the "wall" (similar to the Facebook "wall"), allowing users to post items or comments in a similar manner to social networking sites. There is also a "feed" tab, showing the recent activity of other users that the user has subscribed to.
On March 28, 2014, ScrewAttack was acquired by Fullscreen Inc.. With the acquisition, Fullscreen rebranded its gaming-focused hub, Fullscreen Arcade, to ScrewAttack Network.
Current shows and featurettes
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2008)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
- The Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) - a series of farcical retro gaming reviews by James D. Rolfe, an independent filmmaker and professional video editor.
- Cinemassacre Mailbag - James Rolfe (The Angry Video Game Nerd) reads fan e-mails.
- Talking Classics - mockumentary that follows video game fan Keith Apicary, starring and created by comedian Nathan Barnatt. Keith Apicary (called the "Borat of the gaming world") is a 28 year old gamer who favors Neo Geo, Virtual Boy and Sega.
- Brentalfloss - a New York-based musician who makes videos for ScrewAttack. His most famous creation is his "with LYRICS" series, where he takes a classic retro gaming song and gives it lyrics, typically referring to the subject matter of the game itself.
- Game Theory - Coined as "Mythbusters for gamers", Matthew Patrick's goal of Game Theory is to separate fact from fiction in video games and support topics in video games that may seem fantastical with real world facts.
- Game Overthinker - Bob "moviebob" Chipman rants and speaks about video game phenomena purposely in too much depth. Chipman also has shows titled Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture, hosted on The Escapist . In his show, the Game Overthinker chooses to talk about topics ranging from how originality in modern games are more of an exception than rule, violence in video games, the longevity of video game characters, racism in games and more.
- Black Nerd - André "Black Nerd" Meadows rants or has opinions on Pop Culture, News, Current Events, Geekdom, and even 80s-90s Nostalgia. The show features ScrewAttack appropriate Rants on the website. The show has a lot to do with Nintendo based stuff since André is a big Nintendo Player. A little similar to Channel Awesome's Nostalgia Critic
- The Completionist Jirard Khalil reviews classic games, placing heavy emphasis on their replay value, what getting 100% completion on a game gets the gamer and whether or not its worth it to complete the game, ending each review with a rating of Burn it, Look at it, Play it, Finish it, or Complete it.
- Free to Play Weekly brings viewers the most important news of the week about free-to-play online games and the latest releases.
- Extra Credits
- GameJew - a former ScrewAttack series featuring Jonathan Mann, a Jewish fan of Mario. In the story, The GameJew dons his red Mario hat and his red overalls, all while existing in real life situations and composing songs relevant to games.
Events and other media
Formerly known as "ScrewAttack Gaming Convention", SGC is a live event ScrewAttack produces annually for its fans. SGC was originally held in 2009 and 2010 and after a three year hiatus to allow ScrewAttack to focus on other business opportunities the event returned after being successfully Kickstartered[clarification needed] by the ScrewAttack community. SGC 2013 was held at the Hyatt Regency in Dallas, Texas in June 2013. Its attendance topped 3500. SGC 2014 is scheduled to take place July 11–13, 2014 at the Sheraton Dallas.
ScrewAttack Games is a separate brand within ScrewAttack that focuses on digital titles.
In 2010, ScrewAttack Games released a game for iOS called Texting Of The Bread. The object of the game is to type words which will kill incoming Gingerbread men. The game includes the Angry Video Game Nerd as a character and will soon include another ScrewAttack personality, brentalfloss. An Android version was originally planned, but was eventually cancelled.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
- "The New ScrewAttack". The New ScrewAttack. ScrewAttack Entertainment LLC. 2006–2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "MTV Networks’ GameTrailers Acquires Exclusive Rights To ScrewAttack Programming". GameTrailers. 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Staff (2012). "GT Top Games". GameTrailers.com. GameTrailers.com. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Resume at Cinemassacre.com
- Gallagher, Danny (26 July 2010). "Being Keith Apicary — Meet the Borat of the Gaming World". Asylum.com. AOL Inc.
- Resident Evil The Remake: I Don't Want This Mansion! The Completionist Episode 35 on YouTube
- Imagine: Wedding Designers- WHAT THE HELL? - The Completionist Episode 18 on YouTube
- Article Detail - Nintendo Wii News - QJ.NET
- Monochrom: MyFaceSpace, the musical - Boing Boing TV
- "Review: Texting Of The Bread - Typing To Kill". App Advice. 2010-10-05. Retrieved 2012-09-21.