SCREW was a weekly pornographic tabloid newspaper published in the United States aimed at heterosexual men; according to a statement on the cover, it offered "Jerk-Off Entertainment for Men". It was first published in November 1968 by Al Goldstein and Jim Buckley (who edited the short-lived "sister" tabloid Gay), and was printed weekly in tabloid form. At its peak, SCREW sold 140,000 copies a week. Founder Al Goldstein won a series of nationally significant obscenity cases.
In 1974, Goldstein and Buckley were charged with 12 counts of obscenity in a federal court in Kansas. The case dragged on for three years through two trials and was finally settled when Goldstein agreed to pay a $30,000 fine.
In 1977, Alabama Governor George Wallace sued SCREW for $5 million for publishing the claim that he had learned to perform sexual acts from reading the magazine. The two parties settled for $12,500, and SCREW agreed to print an apology.
- Many pages from Screw, including advertisements and classifieds, may be found at https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/screw-magazine and https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/al-goldstein, consulted 10-29-2014
- https://38.media.tumblr.com/f99eecb2dff7abbda1d4d5a3446cf164/tumblr_n32h8kvKUe1qeqglgo2_1280.jpg, retrieved 11/21/2014.
- Newman, Andy. "Al Goldstein, Who Made Porn Dirtier, Dies at 77". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- An advertisement for Gay may be seen at http://41.media.tumblr.com/0d31009fcacb06cc0b36ee55aa0de504/tumblr_n5diszxVcx1sbtct0o1_1280.jpg, retrieved 11/21/2014.
- Ashley West, "Remembering Al Goldstein: A Happy Jew", The Rialto Report, January 5, 2014, http://www.therialtoreport.com/2014/01/05/remembering-al-goldstein-a-happy-jew/, retrieved 10-30-2014.
- Frumkes, Roy (2008-12-21). "FIR ’08 Stocking Stuffer". Films in Review. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "Goldstein Pays $30,000, Ending Obscenity Trial", New York Times, March 16, 1978.
- UPI (1977-04-13). "Wallace Settles with Screw". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- Sloan, Will (December 20, 2013). "Al Goldstein: The Anti-Hef". Hazlitt. Random House of Canada. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "The New Screw Review". New York Press. 2005-03-02. Retrieved 11 August 2011.[dead link] new link (2014) is http://nypress.com/the-new-screw-review
|This pornographic magazine or journal–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.