Scuba Diving International
|Purpose||Underwater Diver training|
|Headquarters||World Headquarters, Jensen Beach, Florida, United States|
|Parent organization||International Training|
United States RSTC
Scuba Diving International (SDI) is a Scuba training and certification agency. It is the recreational arm of Technical Diving International, the world’s largest technical diver training organization.
SCUBA Diving International, launched in 1999, is the sister organization of Technical Diving International. Thus, SDI was created by dive professionals from the technical diving field. This gives the organization a perspective that other recreational diving certification agencies do not have, which is teaching recreational diving through the lens of experienced technical diving.
SDI’s philosophy is to take recreational scuba diving to new levels, enhancing older – maybe even outdated - diving practices by incorporating new diving technology and emphasizing safety. The curriculum is set up to take divers from the beginner level to instructor level and structures its courses around a logged dive and specialty course approach. Divers who progress through SDI’s recreational diving courses are then in a position to advance to technical diving with the courses offered by Technical Diving International.
Like TDI and ERDI (the two sister companies of SDI), handle technical diving courses and emergency personnel courses respectively, SDI covers the recreational aspect of diving by offering the following courses:
SDI is also unusual amongst recreational diver training organisations in that it recognises solo diving as part of recreational diving, and offers a special training course relating to it. Most major recreational diver training organisations mandate diving with a "buddy" at all times. SDI was the first recreational diver training agency to provide certification as Solo Diver.
Entry Level Courses
These courses are meant for people interested in taking the first steps towards Scuba diving:
- Future Buddies Program - A course designed to provide children between the ages of 8 & 9 an introduction to scuba diving in a controlled environment under the direct supervision of an instructor.Once the future buddy turns 10 they can enroll in the SDI Junior Open Water Diver course.
- Scuba Discovery Program - An introductory program to scuba diving, for people who are not sure they want to proceed with a full scuba course and certification.
- Open Water Scuba Diver Course - Entry-level certification to scuba diving
- Skin Diver Course - A skin diving course.
Advanced Diver Development Program - The aim of this program is for the diver to experience four different specialties to improve comfort level and skills in the water. To qualify as an advanced diver a minimum of 25 logged dives, which may include training dives, is required. These courses are for already certified divers, independent of their skill level,[clarification needed] who wish to expand their knowledge of a specific area of interest:
These courses are for already certified divers, wishing to further progress on their certification level:
- Solo Diver Course - One of SDI’s most popular courses, the solo diver program teaches experienced recreational divers how to safely dive independently of a dive buddy or strengthen your buddy team skills. This course so far is not offered by any other Underwater diving training organization.
- Rescue Diver Course - This course is designed for certified Advanced Divers to develop their knowledge and necessary skills to perform self rescues, buddy rescues and to assist and administer necessary first aid. (This is not a course for professional rescue divers. Such courses are offered by ERDI. A sister company of TDI and SDI)
- Master Scuba Diver Development Program - This certification is awarded to certified Rescue Divers that have logged 50 dives.
The courses below are considered professional courses as they involve training other divers:
- Divemaster Course
- Assistant Instructor Course
- Instructor Course
- Specialty Instructor
- IT Staff Instructor Qualifications
- Instructor Trainer Qualifications
- Online Instructor Crossover System - A program for Instructors who are current with another recognized scuba certification agency to crossover to Scuba Diving International (SDI).
Scuba Diving International is the sister company of Technical Diving International, which focuses on the technical side of recreational diving, as well as Emergency Response Diving International, the company's public safety diving branch.
- "Learn About SDI". Scuba Diving International. Retrieved 2007-10-15.
- "United States Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Canadian Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "European Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Technical Diving International (TDI)/Scuba Diving International (SDI)". Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "PADI versus SDI: Differences, Benefits and Drawbacks". Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Technical Divers International/Scuba Divers International". Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Who is SDI?". Scuba Diving International. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- "Solo Diver Course". Scuba Diving International. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "EUF Certified Training Systems/Training Organisations". EUF Certification International. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Who Is SDI". Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- Scuba Diving International Official website