Scuba Educators International
|Scuba Educators International|
|Motto||Learn from the best, where a full education makes the difference|
|Predecessor||YMCA SCUBA Program|
|Purpose/focus||Underwater diver training|
|Headquarters||Muncie, IN, USA|
|Location||1623 W. Jackson Street, Muncie, IN 47303|
|Main organ||Board of Directors|
Scuba Educators International (SEI) (also known as SEI Diving) is a non-for-profit underwater diving training organisation created in 2008 to continue the underwater diving training program known as the YMCA SCUBA Program which ceased operation in 2008.
SEI was founded in 2008 by a group of former senior YMCA SCUBA instructors following the announcement of the closure of the YMCA Scuba Program by the YMCA of the USA with the intention of continuing the YMCA Scuba Program under a new banner. The new agency was conceived as being a non-for-profit organisation that would operate world-wide and in complete independence of the YMCA of the USA, “but will continue to share philosophies and dedication to the highest quality education in the (diving) industry”.
During 2010, SEI entered in an agreement with the Underwater Society of America (USOA) to issue CMAS International Diver Training Certificates. SEI is a member of the Diving Equipment and Marketing Association (DEMA) with its CEO, Tom Leaird, serving on the DEMA Board of Directors.
The SEI Qualification System was structured as follows as of January 2013.
|CMAS 1 Star Diver||SEI Open Water Diver (minimum age 15)|
|CMAS 2 Star Diver||SEI Advanced Open Water Diver (minimum age 15 with 20 logged dives)|
|CMAS 3 Star Diver||SEI Advanced Plus Diver with (minimum age 16 with 50 logged dives)|
|CMAS 4 Star Diver||SEI Master Diver with DRAM Rescue Diver and 100 logged dives|
|CMAS 1 Star Instructor||SEI Divemaster (minimum age 18 with 40 logged dives)|
|CMAS 2 Star Instructor||SEI Instructor (minimum age 19 with 100 logged dives)|
|CMAS 3 Star Instructor||SEI Instructor Trainer (minimum age 21 with 200 logged dives)|
- "Tom Leaird, Executive Officer". Zoominfo. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Duncan, Renee (March–April 2009). "The Passing Of An Era: YMCA Retires Its Scuba Program". Alert Diver: 40–41.
- "The demise of YMCA Scuba & the birth of SEI Diving: News Release". The Scuba Connection, Greece. 8 December 2008. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "CMAS Certifications". SEI. p. 9. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Member Spotlight of SEI". DEMA. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Become a diver". SEI. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "SEI Organizational Standards". SEI. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- Lapenta, Jim. "SEI now authorized to issue CMAS certs!". Scubaboard. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- SEI Diving Homepage
- SEI Diving Italy Homepage
- SEI Diving Japan Homepage
- SEI Diving Korea Homepage
- Scuba Educators International: The Short Documentary
|This diving-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|