Scuba Schools International
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2008)|
|Headquarters||Fort Collins, Colorado, United States|
|Parent organization||HEAD NV|
Scuba Schools International (SSI) is an organization that teaches the skills involved in scuba diving and freediving, and supports dive businesses and resorts. SSI has well over 2,500 authorized dealers, 35 regional centers, and offices all over the world.
SSI offers internationally recognized Scuba training programs for all levels - starting with Snorkeling and entry level diving courses up to Instructor Certifiers. The most common programs are: SSI Open Water Diver (OWD), Advanced Open Water Diver (AOWD), more than 30 different specialty courses (like EAN Nitrox, Deep diving, Underwater navigation, Night diving and Limited Visibility, and many more). Dive leader training programs start with the Dive Control Specialist (who is qualified like Assistant Instructor) followed by Open Water Instructor and above.
SSI's training program for children aged 8–12 years is called Scuba Rangers.
SSI Scuba Training programs are certified/recognized throughout the world (such as RSTC - Recreational Scuba Training Council, EUF - European Underwater Federation, CUA - China Underwater Association and others).
Founded in 1970, SSI was one of the pioneers of professional Scuba training. They were the first organization to present a complete training program including full motion video and they pioneered some areas of diving education.
A major difference between SSI and other diver education organizations like PADI, NAUI, CMAS and others is that SSI is a Retail based organization, intended to ensure the quality of training worldwide.[clarification needed]
SSI is headquartered in Fort Collins, Colorado and is owned by Concept Systems International, Inc. It was founded by Robert Clark in 1970. In 2008 it was acquired by Doug McNeese (owner of NASDS until the merger with SSI in 1999) and Robert Stoss (Manager Scubapro and Seemann Sub) - both being icons in the dive industry for years. On January 1st, 2014 SSI was acquired by MARES, a diving equipment brand in turn owned by HEAD NV, for an undisclosed amount.
SSI is a member of the following member councils of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council - the United States RSTC, the RSTC Europe and C-Card Council (Japan). It is also a member of the European Underwater Federation.
- 1 Certifications
- 1.1 Non certification programs
- 1.2 Snorkeling & Free diving certifications
- 1.3 Recreational diving certifications
- 1.4 Professional certifications
- 1.5 Extended range and technical extended range diving certifications
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Non certification programs
- Try Scuba Diving
Snorkeling & Free diving certifications
- Snorkel Diver
- SSI specialty: Snorkel Shark Diving (not in every country)
- SSI specialty: Snorkel Digital Underwater photography
- Free diving Basic & Levels 1 to 3
Recreational diving certifications
- Indoor Diver (not in every country)
- Junior Scuba Diver
- Scuba Diver
- Junior Open Water Diver
- Open Water Diver
- Classified Open Water Diver Levels 1 to 4 (not in every country)
- Advance Adventurer (not in every country)
- Specialty Diver
- Advanced Open Water Diver
- Diver Stress & Rescue
- Master Diver
- Dive Guide (DG)
- Divemaster (DM = DG + Science of Diving)
- Snorkel Instructor
- Dive Control Specialist (DCS = DM + Snorkel instr. + Diving assistant instr.)
- Training Specialist (TS = DCS + limited specialties instructor)
- Open Water Instructor (OWI)
- Classified Open Water Instructor
- Specialty Instructor (SI = OWI + 2 specialties instr.)
- Advanced Open Water Instructor (AOWI = OWI + 4 specialties)
- Divemaster Instructor (DMI = AOWI + online exam)
- Dive Control Specialist Instructor
- Master Instructor
- Instructor Trainer
- Instructor Certifier
Extended range and technical extended range diving certifications
Extended Range certifications
- Extended Range Nitrox Diver
- Extended Range Limited Trimix Diver
- Extended Range Gas Blender
- Extended Range Advanced Wreck Diver
- Extended Range Cavern Diver
- Extended Range Intro to Cave Diving
Technical Extended Range certifications
- Technical Extended Range Advanced Decompression Procedures Diver
- Technical Extended Range Normoxic Trimic Diver
- Technical Extended Range Hypoxic Trimix Diver
- Technical Extended Range Technical Wreck Diver
- Technical Extended Range Basic Cave Diver
- Technical Extended Range Cave Diver
- Extended Range Instructor
- Extended Range Gas Blender Instructor
- Extended Range Advanced Wreck Diving Instructor
- Extended Range Cavern Diving Instructor
- Extended Range Nitrox Instructor Trainer
- Extended Range & Technical Extended Range Instructor Trainer
- Technical Extended Range Advanced Decompression Procedures/Normoxic Trimix Diving Instructor
- Technical Extended Range Hypoxic Trimix Diving Instructor
- Technical Extended Range Technical Wreck Diving Instructor
- Technical Extended Range Basic Cave Diving Instructor
- Technical Extended Range Cave Diving Instructor
- "History of SSI". Scuba America Historical Foundation. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "United States Agencies". WRSTC.
- "European Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Japan Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Profit Distributing Members". European Underwater Federation. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "EUF Certified Training Systems/Training Organisations". EUF Certification International. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Freediving Program". Scuba Schools International. Retrieved 29 April 2013.