Scuba Schools International
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2008)|
|Headquarters||Fort Collins, Colorado, United States|
Scuba Schools International (SSI) is an organization that teaches the skills involved in scuba diving and freediving, and supports dive businesses and resorts. SSI has over 2,500 authorized dealers, 35 regional centers, and offices all over the world.
SSI offers internationally recognized scuba training programs for all levels - starting with snorkeling and entry level diving courses up to Instructor Certifiers. The most common programs are: SSI Open Water Diver (OWD), Advanced Open Water Diver (AOWD), more than 30 different specialty courses (like EAN Nitrox, Deep diving, Underwater navigation, Night diving and Limited Visibility, and many more). Dive leader training programs start with the Dive Control Specialist (who is qualified like Assistant Instructor) followed by Open Water Instructor and above.
SSI's training program for children aged 8–12 years is called Scuba Rangers.
SSI scuba training programs are certified/recognized throughout the world (such as RSTC - Recreational Scuba Training Council, EUF - European Underwater Federation, CUA - China Underwater Association and others).
Founded in 1970, SSI was one of the pioneers of professional scuba training. They were the first organization to present a complete training program including full motion video and they pioneered some areas of diving education.
A major difference between SSI and other diver education organizations like PADI, NAUI, CMAS and others is that SSI is a retail-based organization, intended to ensure the quality of training worldwide.[clarification needed]
SSI is headquartered in Fort Collins, Colorado and is owned by Concept Systems International, Inc. It was founded by Robert Clark in 1970. In 2008, it was acquired by Doug McNeese (owner of NASDS until the merger with SSI in 1999) and Robert Stoss (Manager Scubapro and Seemann Sub) - both being icons in the dive industry for years. On January 1, 2014 SSI was acquired by MARES, a diving equipment brand in turn owned by HEAD NV, for an undisclosed amount.
SSI is a member of the following councils of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council - the United States RSTC, the RSTC Europe and C-Card Council (Japan). It is also a member of the European Underwater Federation.
- 1 Certifications
- 1.1 Non-certification programs
- 1.2 Snorkeling & free diving certifications
- 1.3 Recreational diving certifications
- 1.4 Professional diving certifications
- 1.5 Advanced diving certifications
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
- Try Scuba Diving
Snorkeling & free diving certifications
- Snorkel Diver
- SSI specialty: Snorkel Shark Diving (not in every country)
- SSI specialty: Snorkel Digital Underwater photography
- Free diving Basic & Levels 1 to 3
Recreational diving certifications
- Indoor Diver (not in every country)
- Junior Scuba Diver
- Scuba Diver
- Junior Open Water Diver
- Open Water Diver
- Classified Open Water Diver Levels 1 to 4 (not in every country)
- Advance Adventurer (not in every country)
- Specialty Diver
- Advanced Open Water Diver
- Diver Stress & Rescue
- Master Diver
Professional diving certifications
- Dive Guide (DG)
- Divemaster (DM = DG + Science of Diving)
- Snorkel Instructor
- Dive Control Specialist (DCS = DM + Snorkel instr. + Diving assistant instr.)
- Training Specialist (TS = DCS + limited specialties instructor)
- Open Water Instructor (OWI)
- Classified Open Water Instructor
- Specialty Instructor (SI = OWI + 2 specialties instr.)
- Advanced Open Water Instructor (AOWI = OWI + 4 specialties)
- Divemaster Instructor (DMI = AOWI + online exam)
- Dive Control Specialist Instructor
- Master Instructor
- Instructor Trainer
- Instructor Certifier
Advanced diving certifications
Extended Range certifications
- XR Nitrox Diver
- XR Limited Trimix Diver
- XR Advanced Wreck Diver
- XR Cavern Diver
Technical Extended Range certifications
- TXR Advanced Decompression Procedures Diver
- TXR Normoxic Trimix Diver
- TXR Hypoxic Trimix Diver
- TXR Technical Wreck Diver
- TXR Cave Diver
- TXR Full Cave Diver
- TXR Gas Blender
- XR Nitrox Instructor
- XR Instructor
- XR Advanced Wreck Diving Instructor
- XR Cavern Diving Instructor
- XR Nitrox Instructor Trainer
- XR Instructor Trainer
- TXR Advanced Decompression Procedures/Normoxic Trimix Diving Instructor
- TXR Hypoxic Trimix Diving Instructor
- TXR Technical Wreck Diving Instructor
- TXR Cave Diving Instructor
- TXR Full Cave Diving Instructor
- TXR Gas Blender Instructor
- TXR Instructor Trainer
- "History of SSI". Scuba America Historical Foundation. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "United States Agencies". WRSTC.
- "European Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Japan Agencies". WRSTC. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Profit Distributing Members". European Underwater Federation. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "EUF Certified Training Systems/Training Organisations". EUF Certification International. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Freediving Program". Scuba Schools International. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Adam Wood - Technical Training Director SSI 2015
- Adam Wood - Technical Training Director - SSI - 2015