|Imago of Scythris heinemanni
at Cerreto Ratti (Borghetto di Borbera, Italy)
Numerous, see text
Scythris is a genus of gelechioid moths. It is the type genus of the flower moth family, which is sometimes included as a subfamily in the Xyloryctidae, or together with these merged into the Oecophoridae.
It is the largest[verification needed] genus of flower moths, and as such might not be fully monophyletic with regard to some very small or monotypic genera placed in the same family. In addition, new species of Scythris continue to be discovered and described.
The species of Scythris have been divided among several groups, which may or may not be monophyletic; those that are may – provided they are closely enough related to the type species S. limbella – be considered subgenera. Species group include:
insulella ("ericivorella") group
limbella group – possibly subgenus Scythris
obscurella group – possibly subgenus Galanthia
In addition to the groups above, there is a considerable number of species in this genus whose exact relationships are hitherto elusive. Some have been placed in a "species group" of their own, as they are too distinct from the other groups to be included there, yet at the same time have characteristic autapomorphies. They include:
Species incertae sedis
- AEBR (2008), and see references in Savela (2008)
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004), AEBR (2008), ToL (2008), FE (2009), and see references in Savela (2008)
- FE (2009), and see references in Savela (2008)
- AEBR (2008), FE (2009), and see references in Savela (2008)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scythris.|
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (2008): Australian Faunal Directory – Scythris. Version of 2008-OCT-09. Retrieved 2010-MAY-01.
- Fauna Europaea (FE) (2009): Scythris. Version 2.1, 2009-DEC-22. Retrieved 2010-MAY-01.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Scythris. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2010-MAY-01.
- Savela, Markku (2008): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Scythris. Version of 2008-JUL-17. Retrieved 2010-MAY-01.
- Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) (2009): Xyloryctidae. Version of 2008-MAY-01. Retrieved 2010-APR-30.