Sea Cliff Bridge
|Sea Cliff Bridge|
|Carries||Motor vehicles, pedestrians and bicycles|
|Locale||Illawarra, New South Wales, Australia|
|Design||Balanced cantilever |
|Material||Steel reinforced concrete |
|Total length||455.6 metres (1,495 ft) |
|Height||41 metres (135 ft) at highest point |
|Longest span||3 x 108 metres (354 ft) |
|Number of spans||5 |
|Construction end||9 December 2005 |
|Opened||11 December 2005 |
The Sea Cliff Bridge is a balanced cantilever bridge located in the northern Illawarra region of New South Wales, Australia. The $52 million bridge links the coastal villages of Coalcliff and Clifton. Featuring two lanes of traffic, a cycleway and a walkway, the Sea Cliff Bridge boasts spectacular views and is a feature of the scenic Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
The Sea Cliff Bridge replaced a section of Lawrence Hargrave Drive that was permanently closed in August 2003 due to regular rock falls. A public outcry emerged over the road closure as Lawrence Hargrave Drive is the only road directly linking Coalcliff, Stanwell Park, Otford and Helensburgh to the northern suburbs of Wollongong. The bridge was officially opened by NSW Premier Morris Iemma at a 'ribbon cutting' ceremony on 11 December 2005, and has met with great public approval and increased business for the area's tourism industry.
The Sea Cliff Bridge was named by 11-year-old schoolgirl Makenzie Russell (St. Brigids) following a naming competition opened to local primary school students.
The Sea Cliff Bridge is one of only seven off-shore parallel to coast bridges in the world.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sea Cliff Bridge.|
In the popular media
The Sea Cliff Bridge has been featured in a joint 2007 Ferrari/Shell Fuel television advert that was shown in many countries around the world including Australia. The television advert featured a Ferrari Formula 1 car being driven along the bridge at high speed, continuing a trend of using the bridge in a television commercial.
- "Sea Cliff Bridge - Bridge Construction Statistics". Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Sea Cliff Bridge - Home Page". Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Sea Cliff Bridge - Why Was It Constructed ?". Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Sea Cliff Bridge - Makenzie who?". Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "Sea Cliff Bridge holds key to love". Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Tourism NSW - Insights 19 April 2007". Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- Sea Cliff Bridge Webcam
- Sea Cliff Bridge website
- Grand Pacific Drive
- Roads and Traffic Authority - Lawrence Hargrave Drive reopens
- Northern Illawarra Online - Community Web Portal
- HangglideOz - tandems and lic courses