Sean Edwards (politician)
|Senator for South Australia|
1 July 2011
2 January 1962 |
Clare, South Australia, Australia
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
Edwards was an auctioneer, land and estate agent from 1980 to 1996. From 1996 he was a vigneron and winemaker in the Clare Valley wine region of South Australia. He and his direct family have significant private vineyard holdings in Clare and the Adelaide Hills, and he is a director of Kirribilly Wines.
From 1985 to 1988 Edwards was president of the Blackwood and Districts Young Liberals. He was the vice president of the Clare branch of the Liberal Party from 2002 to 2004, and president from 2004 to 2008. Edwards was president of the Wakefield Federal Electoral Commission from 2006 to 2008. He was state president of the South Australian division of the Liberal Party and a member of the Liberal Party Federal Executive and Finance Committee from 2007 to 2010. He became a life member of the South Australian Liberal Party State Council in 2010.
Edwards was elected to the Senate from second position on the South Australian Liberal Party ticket, which garnered 37.3 percent of the statewide vote at the 2010 election. Edwards took his seat on 1 July 2011.
The Liberal Party conservative faction leader Nick Minchin had openly opposed Edwards' nomination for Liberal preselection on the party's Senate ticket. Edwards is backed by the moderate faction. Edwards had defeated conservative faction candidate Bob Jackson for the state party presidency two years earlier.
In August 2011 it was reported in News Limited media that the Department of Finance had sought reimbursement from Edwards over the misuse of three government-funded cars. Edwards' wife later apologised for the event and confirmed that they would reimburse the cost. Media outlets also reported that Edwards was being investigated by the Department of Finance over the employment, in his parliamentary office, of an executive of a company he chaired before entering parliament.
- "Parliamentary profile: Australian Parliament homepage". Parlinfo.aph.gov.au. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Our People". Kirribilly Viticulture. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- 4 June 2009 12:00AM (4 June 2009). "Nick Minchin stirs SA Senate tensions: The Australian 4 June 2009". Theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- Greg Kelton, State Editor (19 August 2007). "Liberal coup by moderates: The Advertiser 19 August 2007". Adelaidenow.com.au. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- Owen, Michael (29 August 2011). "Senator Sean Edwards makes a meal of three Comcars". The Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Owen, Michael (31 August 2011). "Comcar senator in new staffing probe". The Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Hockley, Catherine (31 August 2011). "Claims Senator Sean Edwards' private staff used taxpayer-funded office". The Advertiser (News Limited). Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Owen, Michael (1 September 2011). "Finance chases senator Sean Edwards on cars". The Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- Owen, Michael (3 September 2011). "Liberals shield SA senator Sean Edwards over undeclared interests". The Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 8 September 2011.