Sean Maloney (technology)
Sean M. Maloney is an Independent Non-executive Director of Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC). He was a former executive vice president of Intel Corporation, general manager of the Sales and Marketing Group, and chief sales and marketing officer. He was the chairman of Intel China from May 2011 until he retired from Intel in Jan 2013. He has been with Intel since 1982.
Maloney worked directly under former CEO Andrew Grove and spent several years working in European and Asian markets. He is one of four executive vice presidents reporting to the current CEO, Paul Otellini, and many industry insiders believe he could eventually take the helm as Intel CEO.
Maloney has been a key steward of Intel’s WiMAX participation and investment as well as the company’s push into supporting mobile computing. In 2006 Maloney received the Lee De Forest Award from the Radio Club of America for his leadership in the creation of the WiMAX industry. Maloney also received an honorary doctorate degree from the University of Southern Connecticut.
In February 2010, the Intel executive had a stroke which left him virtually speechless and significantly impaired the use of his right arm. Determined to recover, Maloney, an avid rower, raced the Head of the Charles 8 months later and returned to a leadership role at the company within the year. Maloney's inspiring recovery led to a Fortune Magazine cover story and numerous broadly viewed videos.
In May 2011, Maloney was appointed Chairman of Intel China by CEO Paul Otellini. Maloney and his wife, PR executive and novelist, Margaret Chai Maloney, and their three youngest children moved to Beijing for his new role in developing the corporate strategy for Intel's single largest market in the world. In June 2011, Maloney addressed COMPUTEX and unveiled the Ultrabook computer category. In April 2012, Maloney gave the keynote at Intel's Developer Forum in Beijing.
- Appointment of Independent Non-Executive Director and Re-designation of Director
- Intel Executive Vice President Sean Maloney to Retire
- GEF Who's Who - Sean Maloney
- The Empire Strikes Back - Sean Maloney leads Intel's push to win back markets
- Mini PCs are the key to Intel's future growth - Dec. 7, 2006
- Radio Club of America
- Key Intel executive suffers stroke CNET March 1, 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sean Maloney (technology).|
- http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_39/b3851608.htm - 2003 article on Maloney and mobile broadband initiative
- http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/movers_and_shakers/article3645061.ece - "Sean Maloney, the Londoner inside Intel" (3/30/08 interview)
- http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/09/intels-sean-maloney-the-man-who-couldnt-speak/ - Fortune Magazine cover story, September 2011
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiIpOK46LYg/ - Sean Maloney rowing video
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRSWgRO9UKo - video of Sean Maloney keynote at Computex 2011, Taipei
- http://www.intel.com/idf/beijing/keynotes/index.htm - video of Sean Maloney keynote at IDF Beijing, April 2012