Sean McCarthy (footballer)
|Date of birth||12 September 1967|
|Place of birth||Bridgend, Wales|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|1998||→ Bristol City (loan)||7||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Sean McCarthy (born 12 September 1967) is a Welsh football coach and former professional player who made over 500 appearances in the Football League. McCarthy is currently a first team coach at Football League Two club Plymouth Argyle.
Born in Bridgend, McCarthy began his career with hometown team Bridgend Town, before moving to Swansea City just a season later. McCarthy also played in the Football League for Plymouth Argyle, Bradford City, Oldham Athletic, Bristol City and Exeter City, scoring 171 goals in 547 appearances.
He is the most recent player to score a top flight goal for Oldham Athletic, scoring for them in a 1-1 FA Premier League draw against Norwich City at Carrow Road on the final day of the 1993-94 season, a game which Oldham's failure to win cost them their top flight status. They have not since regained it.
McCarthy later played non-league football for Taunton Town.
On 7 December 2009, McCarthy left the club by "mutual consent" following a 7-2 away defeat to Stourbridge.
- "McCarthy the stopper". BBC Sport. 25 July 2000. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Post War English & Scottish Football League A - Z Player's Database
- Football Stats | Premier League 93/94 | Oldham Athletic |
- "Truro City name McCarthy as boss". BBC Sport. 19 May 2008. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Sean McCarthy career stats at Soccerbase
- "McCarthy leaves City job". This Is Cornwall. 7 December 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- "SEAN JOINS TOWN". Ipswich Town F.C. official website. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "Back Room Staff Announced". PAFC.co.uk. Retrieved 26 June 2013.