|Full name||Sean Andrew McGinty|
|Date of birth||11 August 1993|
|Place of birth||Maidstone, England|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2012||→ Morecambe (loan)||4||(0)|
|2012||→ Oxford United (loan)||0||(0)|
|2012–2013||→ Carlisle United (loan)||1||(0)|
|2013||→ Tranmere Rovers (loan)||3||(0)|
|2014||→ Northampton Town (loan)||2||(0)|
|2014||→ Rochdale (loan)||1||(0)|
|2014||→ FC Halifax Town (loan)||2||(0)|
|2009–2010||Republic of Ireland U17||7||(0)|
|2010–2012||Republic of Ireland U19||11||(2)|
|2013–2014||Republic of Ireland U21||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:10, 30 April 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Sean Andrew McGinty (born 11 August 1993) is an English-born Irish professional footballer who plays for Rochdale as a defender. Born in Maidstone, Kent, he began his professional career with Manchester United after a spell with Charlton Athletic as a junior. Failing to break into the United first team he had loan spells at Morecambe, Oxford United, Carlisle United and Tranmere Rovers before signing for Sheffield United, and spells at Northampton Town and Rochdale while at the Blades.
McGinty spent three years in the youth setup at Charlton Athletic before moving to Manchester United in July 2009. He progressed through the youth academy and was part of the side that won the 2010–11 FA Youth Cup, before signing a pro contract in the summer of 2011. On 27 February 2012, McGinty signed for Football League Two side Morecambe on an initial loan until 31 March, with an option to extend. He made his debut the next day in a 2–1 defeat to Dagenham & Redbridge at the Globe Arena. On 12 March 2012, McGinty returned to Manchester United after he dislocated his shoulder in the match against Hereford United.
McGinty moved to Oxford United on a six-month loan on 17 July 2012. Although the loan did not officially go through until 4 August, he went straight into Oxford's team for their pre-season matches. He made his first-team debut for Oxford, playing at left back, in a 3–0 defeat to Leeds United in the second round of the League Cup. On 13 September 2012, McGinty's loan to Oxford United was terminated and he returned to Manchester United.
On 6 November 2012, McGinty joined Carlisle United on loan until 4 December 2012, before Carlisle United extended his loan until 5 January 2013. He returned to Manchester United at the end of the loan, but was again sent out on loan to Tranmere Rovers on the emergency loan deadline day on 28 March 2013. After being sent back to Old Trafford due to a breach of discipline for failing to show up for training, McGinty had the distinction of being the last player to have his contract terminated during the reign of Alex Ferguson. On his release from the Red Devils, McGinty stated "I made a few stupid mistakes along the way at Manchester United. I was young but I believe the only way you do learn is by making mistakes. I have learned from them and that's water under the bridge now. I know what happened and I will never make those mistakes again. I believe they have made me a stronger person and I will be a better player because of it."
On 25 June 2013, McGinty signed for League One club Sheffield United on a two-year contract with the option of a third year, and made his professional début for Sheffield United on 17 August 2013 against Colchester United at Bramall Lane in a 1–1 draw. McGinty was unable to break into the first team on a regular basis however, making only three appearances for the club during the first half of the 2013–14 season. Following the arrival of new manager Nigel Clough in October, McGinty's chances appeared to be further limited and in January 2014, he joined Northampton Town on loan. McGinty spent a month at Northampton, making two appearances for the Cobblers before returning to Bramall Lane at the start of February. On 23 March 2014, McGinty joined Rochdale on loan for the rest of the season, where he played once before returning to Bramall Lane. McGinty was released by Sheffield United on 16 May 2014.
- As of 21 April 2014
|Club||Season||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[nb 1]||Total|
|Manchester United||2011–12||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Morecambe (loan)||2011–12||League Two||4||0||—||—||—||4||0|
|Manchester United||2012–13||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Oxford United (loan)||2012–13||League Two||0||0||0||0||1||0||1||0||2||0|
|Carlisle United (loan)||2012–13||League One||1||0||0||0||—||—||1||0|
|Tranmere Rovers (loan)||2012–13||League One||3||0||—||—||—||3||0|
|Sheffield United||2013–14||League One||2||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||3||0|
|Northampton Town (loan)||2013–14||League Two||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Rochdale (loan)||2013–14||League Two||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the FA Community Shield, and Football League Trophy
- "Premier League clubs submit squad lists" (PDF). Premier League. 2 February 2012. p. 24. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Sean McGinty". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (27 February 2012). "Loans: McGinty makes move". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "Morecambe 1–2 Dag & Red". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 28 February 2012. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (12 March 2012). "Loans: McGinty injury blow". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (17 July 2012). "McGinty moves to Oxford". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "U's set to sign McGinty". oufc.co.uk (Oxford United). 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Manchester United defender Sean McGinty to join Oxford United". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "United bow out". oufc.co.uk (Oxford United FC). 28 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Today at Old Trafford – Thursday 13 September". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). 10 September 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (6 November 2012). "McGinty heads to Carlisle". Manchester United F.C. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Hall, Andy (7 December 2012). "Transfer: McGinty Loan Extended". Carlisle United F.C. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "United Defender Joins Rovers on Loan". Tranmere Rovers F.C. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "A troubled Ireland U21 international was the last United player shown the exit door by Fergie". The Score. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "'Bad boy' pledges to change". Sheffield Star. 3 July 2013. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Fabien Brandy one of four new signings". BBC Sport. 25 June 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Blades V Us". BBC Sport. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Sean McGinty". Soccerbase. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Sean McGinty Signs For Northampton Town". Northampton Town F.C. 10 January 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Northampton Town end Matty Blair and Sean McGinty loan deals". The Football League. 5 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Rochdale sign Sean McGinty on loan from Sheffield United". BBC Sport. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Games played by Sean McGinty in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Miller time over at Blades". Sky Sports News. 16 May 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Rochdale: Sean McGinty signs and Josh Lillis signs new deal". BBC Sport. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Sean McGinty heads out to FC Halifax". Rochdale AFC. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.