3 December 1991 |
|Club||St. Joseph's Amateur Boxing Club, Newport|
Sean McGoldrick (born 3 December 1991) is a Welsh boxer who was awarded the gold medal for the Bantamweight division at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India,. McGoldrick lost to Manju Wanniarachchi of Sri Lanka in the final and was initially awarded the silver medal.
On 24 October 2010 National Olympic Committee of Sri Lanka announced that Wanniarachchi had failed a drugs test taken during the 2010 Commonwealth Games. A urine sample provided by the boxer had contained nandrolone, a banned performance enhancing drug. Wanniarachchi claims he failed the drugs test due to the asthma medication he was taking. Wanniarachchi subsequently failed the second drugs test and intended to launch an appeal.
In December 2010 McGoldrick was selected as BBC Wales Junior Sportsman of the Year.
In June 2011 McGoldrick was retrospectively awarded the 2010 Commonwealth Games Bantamweight gold medal.
- McGoldrick wins silver
- "anju in danger of losing gold". BBC Sinhala. 24 October 2010.
- "Manju charged for taking banned drugs". Sunday Island, Sri Lanka. 24 October 2010.
- "Manju given 14 days". Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). 24 October 2010.
- Wanniarachchi fails second drugs test
- Welsh Junior Sportsman of the year
- MgGoldrick awarded Gold medal
|This biographical article related to boxing in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to Welsh sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|