Searcy High School (Arkansas)
|Searcy High School|
|301 North Ella Street
Searcy, Arkansas, 72143
|School board||Searcy School Board|
|School district||Searcy School District|
|NCES District ID||0512210|
|Oversight||Arkansas Department of Education (ADE)|
|NCES School ID||051221000985|
|Enrollment||1,110 (2010–11 )|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.88|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core curriculum|
|Classes offered||Regular, Advanced Placement|
|Campus type||Town; distant|
|Athletics conference||7A/6A East (2012–14)|
|Team name||Searcy Lions|
|Feeder schools||James W. Ahlf Junior High School|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association (AAA)|
Searcy High School is a comprehensive public high school serving the community of Searcy, Arkansas, United States. Located in White County, Searcy High School is the sole high school managed by the Searcy School District and serves students in grades nine through twelve.
The assumed course of study at Searcy High School is the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). Searcy High School was first accredited by the North Central Association in 1924, followed by accreditation by AdvancED when the NCA unified with AdvancED starting in 2009–10. Students engage in regular and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams to obtain at least 22 units before graduation. Exceptional students have been recognized as National Merit Finalists and participated in Arkansas Governor's School.
The Searcy High School mascot is the lion with red and black serving as the school colors. For the 2012–2014 seasons, the Searcy Lions participate in the state's second largest classification (6A) within the combined 6A/7A East Conference. Competition is primarily sanctioned by the Arkansas Activities Association with the Lions competing in basketball (boys/girls), bowling, cheer, cross country, debate, football, golf (boys/girls), swimming (girls), tennis (boys/girls, and volleyball.
The boys' cross country team was won seven consecutive state championships between 1966 and 1972. The boys' bowling team won the 7A/6A state championship in 2011. The girls' golf team has won six state titles between 1971 and 1994. The boys' soccer team captured six state titles including five consecutive state championships (2007–11, 2013) with the girls' soccer team winning four state titles (2007, 2008, 2010, 2013).
The 7A/6A East Conference consists of:
- Cabot Panthers
- Little Rock Central Tigers
- Jonesboro Golden Hurricanes
- Marion Panthers
- Mountain Home Bombers
- North Little Rock Charging Wildcats
- Searcy Lions
- West Memphis Blue Devils
- Bill Dickey—professional baseball player and manager; member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame
- Wilbur Mills—class valedictorian; member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Arkansas's 2nd congressional district (1939-1977)
- Weston Dacus (2004)—United Football League professional football player
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Searcy School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Searcy High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "Searcy (White County)". Arkansas Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "2012-14 AAA Classifications and Conferences". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- "School Profile, Greenwood High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- "Arkansas Activities Association Record Book 2012-13". AHSAA.org. Retrieved August 21, 2012.